Add Brewing to the list of things I quit doing and regret.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
Miss you guys and gals.

I'll be back brewing sooner or later, hopefully by years end.

I think I got "too" into it and had way more stuff than I needed. It became a chore and not a hobby.

Time to start over, scale back a bit, and make good beer. :drunk:

If needed, go back to basics. Buy an extract kit and stove brew. That way there is little planning, no weighing/milling etc. Make it simple, take your time and enjoy the results.

I took a year off due to moving and starting a new life and am now getting back into it.. hard. lol Just dropped a good amount to update my system and get a pipeline going.

I need to pace myself...

hey man, it happens. i've been on a serious decline with brewing activity too man.. i'll get back there, as will you.

best thing I ever did for my brewing was to go to BIAB. simple, easy and I still make great beer. it's a hobby but it shouldn't be a chore....

I haven't brewed since March. Spring and summer are just too busy with fun activities and work to sacrifice 4 hours to brewing. I'd rather be on my mountain bike than just about anything. I usually get about 30-40 gallons brewed between Columbus Day and Christmas, so I'll definitely be back!

Welcome back, Jess! I've missed you! I hope the family is doing well, and that you're also doing well.

I'm still brewing lots and enjoying it, except I was going to brew last week and just couldn't muster the enthusiasm. Since it's 90 degrees now, I doubt I'll feel much like it this week, and then I'm taking a little trip to visit my dad so I won't have the opportunity. I think when I get back that I'll be itching to brew!

I am just getting back into brewing after a few year hiatus. I lost most of my gear while moving (twice) and just now getting back into it. I have already made a couple of batches, just finished a brew today. 100+ Deg in the shade and propane burner going full bore under my Blichmann. Fortunately, I still have a bunch of stuff, kegs, hoses, carboys, buckets, etc. I just need to get a garage fridge to hold the kegs. I am running low on bottles already so next batch has to keg.

Brewing seems to be a chore to me when it is 100+ outside. I've found that brewing larger batches takes some stress out of it for me. Less brewing and more beer, but it does take more equipment. Still I can't wait til it cools off some.

That seems to happen to me too. I'll brew somewhat aggressively for about 6 or 7 months, then take 6 or 7 months off. It keeps a decent pipeline, but also doesnt make me too burnt on it, since it is time consuming. Brewing is just one hobby, have to make time for all the others too! :)

I need to figure out a solution to this as well. I got up at 6:30 on Sunday and didn't finish cleaning until 12:30pm. Six hours is too much for one batch of beer. Cleaning took a good hour afterwards. Have to start cleaning during the boil, chilling, etc. Hard to do it fast though. Hour mash, Hour boil, time to sparge, time to chill, heating strike water...I've thought of setting an appliance timer on my heating elements and getting strike heated at 5:30AM so when I wake up it's ready to dough-in...but watch me hit snooze and end up boiling 7 gallons of water for 3 hours :mad:

Thanks for all of the welcomes and re-welcomes.

Just a quick update on the rest of my life in case anyone is interested.

Retired from the Navy after 20 years in May. Relocated to Northern Idaho.

Bought my first house, moving in soon.

Love it here.

I think extract and possibly mini-mash is the way for me. All grain brew days are fun, but are all day events by the time you factor in setup/cleanup, etc... I think location has a bit to do with it too. Didn't like to brew indoors much as no one else cared for the smell. Brewing on the back porch was dreary. New place has a nice deck with a good view.

Back