It was a good brew day.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Went ahead and brewed a belgian wit today. After getting not so good efficiency for the my first 3 all grains. I guess i finally figured out my problem. It was the crush/bad thermometer for the first two. Just got done looking in beer smith and got 83% today. :ban: Im so damn happy. I even ended up with a little more than 5 gallons. This was probably my most relaxing brew also. Having a HLT makes things nice. Now to bring on the big barley wine with 20 pounds of grain on sun. If I can get that good of efficiency again that thing is going to be a monster.

tbulger said:
Are you batch sparging? if so how does the HLT help you out? im just curious.

Yes, just the fact that i can heat my water up early. Just made for a slower going brew day. IMO. Before right after my sparge water was heated up I had no break, today I sat around and did some other stuff for 40 min. I probably going to start fly sparging in a few brews. Oh and the fact I only have one pot, before my first runnings where going into the bottling bucket for later transfer after I sparged.

Ahhh... I get it. I was never able to time my sparge with the end of my first runnings. I end up way over shooting my sparge temps by doing the runnings and heating at the same time.

Back