Anyone accidentally leave the kettle valve open?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernewb

Reaction score
Too many things going on, cooking family breakfast, heating sparge wate, first runnings into the kettle, but valve was open, short About a gallon and a half of the sweetest wort right now, I wanna cry- any fix here? LoW gravity beer de table here

I keep some extra DME on hand to use to help raise the gravity to close to where it should be. Take a gravity reading once all of the sparging has been completed and see how close you are to your predicted volume and pre-boil gravity. If you don't have any DME then perhaps you could try doing a longer boil to help evaporate some of the water helping to raise your gravity. I can't tell you exact numbers of how much to add or how much more you should increase your boil time. I use beersmith to look at these numbers the few times it happens. You can download a free 30 day trial version of beersmith w/o using a credit card.

water and extract added back, as mentioned.

Also, yes. I have left the MLT valve open and run strike water all over my floor, I have pulled the hose off my brew kettle while the valve was open, I've put sparge water into my HLT while the valve was open....

No valve on my boil pot. so that's one trouble spot eliminated.

I have found that eliminating booboos with smarter ways of doing things - helps make it goof-proof.

I don't mind replacing things like racking canes and tubing, as apposed to more valves and spigots that can get infected having too many tiny crevasses to clean etc...

I DID do this though... with a few too many "session beers" in me:drunk:, I was doing other things while collection the wort...
I looked back on the process and see the collection pot overflowing into the sink. I had no clue how much went down the drain... wasn't too long though, but that really bothered me. It was the "first-wort" too! not sparge

So no more double-tasking when the wort is collecting! That is job one!

Back