Bacteria and Yeast Growth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaerous

Reaction score
How early can you tell if your batch has been evaded by bacteria?

My carboy started bubbling probably 10 hours after I sealed it. It would bubble from the airlock every 5 seconds or so. Now it has been reduced to every 20 seconds or so.

Is this normal? Or is this a sign that bacteria may be killing my yeast and slowing fermentation?

That is completely 100% normal. 10 hours is a rather normal time for your airlock to start showing activity. Your primary fermentation is starting to slow down and the yeast are doing their job. How long was it in the fermenter when you noticed the airlock slow down to once every 20 seconds?

Perfectly normal. It boils like crazy for awhile, then slows down.

Use your hydrometer (get one if you don't have one). That will tell you if it's done fermenting.

Really, as a rule of thumb, take an intial gravity reading with your hydrometer, then just forget about it for at least a week. Test again, and if it's where your FG should be (about 25% of your OG), and stays there for three days, let it sit for two or three more weeks then bottle.

Ready Palmer's How to Brew, read anything in the wiki on this board about fermentation, then RDWHAHB.

Welcome to the obsession.

Monkey, The bubbles slowed about 36 hours after I airlocked it.

BrokenBrew: I did take an initial hydrometer of 1.030...that was Tuesday when I brewed.

And Bio...you're not serious, right? =\

I'd like to also add that I'm absolutely AMAZED at the number and speed of responses. It appears you guys really care about this, and more surprisingly care about helping the noobs. That's remarkable. Thanks for the help!!

Sorry - just couldn't help messing with you! :mug:

Relax, the beer will be fine. But do use a hydrometer!

The one thing I have learned here is

Don't even think about your beer being invaded until it is in you pint glass. Aging cures all.

Noobie hazing, I understand, lol.

I took that initial reading, and I think I'll take one tonight (day 4 of fermentation) simply because I can't stand just watching it - I need to do something. I created a spreadsheet on Excel to keep track of the numbers as fermentation goes on. Should I bottle after a few days of the same gravity? Or wait out the 2 weeks like is recommended? (I'm brewing a malt extract ale - British Bitter with a 2 week primary, 2 week bottle time).

my father's famous line from a Christmas pagent fits perfectly for all home brewers. Patience jackass, Patience! (He was talking to the Donkey:D)

While my experience is not extensive I think the concensus is (don't shoot me, it's just my observation from a lot of reading) minimum of 3 weeks primary and 3 weeks in the bottle. If this is your first batch you could bottle after your FG is stable for at least 3 days (same reading for 3 consecutive days close to your predicted FG) and then bottle. It may or may not be carbed after a week and chances are it will not be and taste not so good. It should be carbed after 2 weeks and will taste OK, but that third week is when the magic happens. Good luck!!

I took a hydrometer reading this evening (day 4) and its already 1.010. The OG was 1.030. The kit doesn't list a suggested final gravity, but I'm betting its somewhere around 1.010. I guess I'll just let it sit for the recommended time and see what happens.

:drunk:

Yeah 36 hours seems very reasonable to go from 1.030-1.010. Have fun drinking it and do like others have said by giving it AMPLE time in the fermenter(s).

Latest posts

Back