sealing kegs with pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
so i often come across threads (and excerpts in books) that refer to sealing a keg with pressure. when people, as in a recent thread, ask about priming a keg with corn sugar and naturally carbonating, someone invariably chimes in and states that you still need CO2 to seal the keg with pressure. so what happens when that pressure head absorbs into the beer, which i presume happens pretty quickly if you hit the keg with some pressure just to seal it and then diconnect CO2 and wait for it to naturally carbonate. i know that if i hit a keg with 30 psi and then disconnect it, leave it overnight and pull the pressure release on the keg the next morning, there is no pressure in it...it's all absorbed into the beer.

does the pressure seal the gasket and that's that? even when the pressure drops it's still sealed?

i've just had a couple of beers and i'm curious.....:tank:

I think that once that lid gets seated well, it should stay sealed unless it gets opened. I just started kegging myself, but I did my first one exactly as you described - primed, hit with 30 PSI and then set aside (at room temp). It sealed and carbed up perfectly.

I think that once that lid gets seated well, it should stay sealed unless it gets opened. I just started kegging myself, but I did my first one exactly as you described - primed, hit with 30 PSI and then set aside (at room temp). It sealed and carbed up perfectly.

+1

the 30PSI is just to make sure that the lid oring is completley closed off. the pressure in the head will add only a very small amount of carbonation, and the rest will be natural.

Back