First all grain batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duridsr4fite

Reaction score
My first 2 all grain batches are bottled and 1 1/2 weeks into it. Everything is ok, but I expect the flavors to develop more as time goes by. One thing that concerns me is that both beers are extremely light bodied, to the point of tasting a bit watery. I used Deathbrewers stove top all grain method, and mashed for 90 minutes instead of 60 minutes. I am thinking that the extra mash time is what is leading to the thin taste. Am I on the right track, or do I need to adjust something else?

Thanks!

Who crushed the grain. and how?? Did you achieve a proper original gravity?? 11 lbs of base grains should not be watery. Mash temp?? While length of time in the mash does dictate some things, I don't think it is the primary.

Check the crush, check your thermometer.

I ran the grain through an electric mill at my LHBS. I brewed 2 days later. I hit my OG to the T, although I have slight doubts as to the accuracy of my reading. I drank 2 last night to test them, and my guess is they finished at about 5.5-6%, which is just a tad lower than I was expecting.

Also, it was in primary for 4 weeks.

1.017, and 1.015...both are watery tasting.

The other recipe was 9 lbs of 2-row
1/2 lb Chocolate
1/2 lb 40L crystal

California Ale yeast

Are these 5- or 10-gallon batches?

If 5-gallon, then there is clearly something wrong with your extraction, because 10 or 11 pounds of malt should certainly be enough for a brew with body. You said you hit your expect OG, so that's pretty strange.

Is this merely a perception thing? How's the head on the beer when you pour it?

my amber is coming out ok. My belgian pale is still watery, and tastes soapy. (in bottle 2 weeks now). Luckily my yield was small, so I only have a case or so to drink. And it is hiiiiiigh octane. 3 of em tonight got me goin' quick.

Did you do a full boil?
I know when I was doing partial boils my beers tasted a bit watery in the early stages of conditioning.
I don't know for sure that doing full boils is what corrected this issue, it may have been some other refinement developed along the way.

Check your thermometer. Not the best method...should read 32+- in a glass packed w/ crushed ice and water, and 212+- at boiling. Is it possible your mash temps are way off??

How well crushed are the gains? Are there whole grain pieces evident in the grist. A poor crush could produce a low yield and result in a thin watery brew.

My amber is starting to come together. The belgian is still watery, and tastes like fruity soap. Also, in bottling, it has turned an odd color. Pale, but almost rose colored. Weird, right?

If i bring one on the my LHBS, do youthink they would taste it and help me analyze what went wrong?

Back