Ginger beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coleberg86

Reaction score
I put down a ginger beer batch last saturday, and im just wondering how long it will take to finish its first fermenting process, and whether I can add fresh crushed ginger into it now or into the bottles for the secondary fermentation to give it a more gingery taste.

Thanks for any help in advance

Welcome to HBT!

Sadly I have not made a ginger beer so I can't be of much help. Generally flavor additions are added in the secondary but I'm sure someone with some experience will be along soon to help you out.

I've made several ginger beers (ales and lagers) and meads.

Ginger has a bitter bite to it that really needs to age to mellow out.

I've only used it in the boil, but have been pleasantly surprised at its flavor in brews.

I don't think using it in a secondary will really do much since it is dense and fibrous.

If you try it please do keep us informed of the outcome...both good and/or bad.

Very good information to know. Thanks Bill! When I get around to making mine (if hubby ever lets me) I will take your advice and try it in the boil.

See there, I told you someone in the know would be along soon. :D

Don't think I have ever had a ginger beer (that I remember anyway). What commercial ginger beers are available out there? I'm searching for my next style to brew up but want to try one or two or six first.

Like homebrew said i think the majority of the ginger taste would have to occur in the later stages of the boil. "Dry" gingering, if you will, would only add to aroma at that time, if anything.

you could always toss the ginger in a juicer and add the juice to the secondary (provided you have a juicer)

I've never added ginger to the secondary, but when I made my ginger beer, I juiced it first and added the juice to the boil

I second that the ginger needs time to mellow, my beer is drinkable now (3 months after it was brewed) after being in the bottles a month the ginger was way too sharp for my tongue (and I love ginger)

Back