Best Craigslist find EVER in the history of homebrewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haberdasher

Reaction score
I just picked up two 5G Cornys + the beginnings of a keggle (kind of a sloppy cut, but it's too narrow of a hole anyways, so I can correct it) + a 1/4bbl Sanke that I can use as a fermenter (no spear).

Oh, you had a question?
The price I paid for ALL four of these items you ask?

$40 TOTAL I couldn't believe my eyes, and then we agreed on a time and place, and I can't believe the story didn't change....

I'll post some pics when I get a few minutes. One of the cornys has a Lagunitas stencil on it and must have had a past life there somehow...

I'm a bit excited!

I pulled a good one about a month ago. We were heading to Alabama and I always check local Craig's list ads any time that I travel. I found a listing for 2 new three gallon ball locks and misc. items for $150.00 in Pascagoula MS. When I arrived at the location I couldn't believe what the misc. items were. Along with the kegs were a 10#, a 5# and a 2.5# CO2 tank a single pass cold plate 10 sets of liquid/gas disconnects two regulators about 50 hose clamps two carb caps (for carbing 2liter bottles) 8 Cornelius gas lines and a handful of stainless hardware.

image-3108671269.jpg

That's my plan. Between the 3 gallon kegs and 2.5 lb tank I should be able to get it pretty compact.

If you're looking for something it really pays to haunt CL, you'll never know what you missed if you're not looking!

My HBC has a forum called craigslist finds, another brewer found this little jockey box. I called the guy, then he called me back about a day and a half later. I drove out to his house way out in the sticks. As I was paying him, he tells me he found the co2 tanks, and throws it in for free. The complete rig with a sanke tap and micromatic reg (no keg), for 80 bucks.

You should try to get a spear for that tall 1/4 BBL, that is a nice keg. Throw a post up looking for a spear, someone cutting a keg is bound to have one.

Even if you use it as a fermenter, you could use a sanke coupler and run the blow off tube off the gas side (without the check vlave) then use co2 later to rack from there.

Even if you use it as a fermenter, you could use a sanke coupler and run the blow off tube off the gas side (without the check vlave) then use co2 later to rack from there.

hmm, I suppose that's even a better idea. I have a sanke coupler from when I used my kegerator for commercial micros. Now the -rator is all ball lock, so I have that Sanke D just sitting on a shelf.

Thanks for the idea

Nice pull, man!

I love finding those deals out there. I went to a garage sale (that I saw on CL) and got: a 5 gal carboy, a 6 gal carboy, a 6.5 gal carboy, a vinator, a floor corker, hydrometer and flask, a bottle tree (6 rings), and a box of misc. caps/brushes etc. all for $30. Unreal.

Not to try to "out-do" you but I got this stuff for FREE right here on HBT. Yep - a complete brewing system. (2) 8 gal kettles, custom brew stand with (3) 10" banjo burners, (2) propane tanks, propane low pressure manifold with individual burner controls, stainless immersion chiller, cooler mash tun, and water filter with RV hoses. I didn't take the mash paddle. :)

Not to try to "out-do" you but I got this stuff for FREE right here on HBT. Yep - a complete brewing system. (2) 8 gal kettles, custom brew stand with (3) 10" banjo burners, (2) propane tanks, propane low pressure manifold with individual burner controls, stainless immersion chiller, cooler mash tun, and water filter with RV hoses. I didn't take the mash paddle. :)

That's awesome! I didn't REALLY think it was the best Craigslist find ever, but probably won't do much better myself!

This should be a subforum section "look what I found for $X!"
I got 65ft (50 plus 15) of 3/8" copper for $30 on CL, but the recent HD findings have blown that away....) and a different ruuber-top Corny for $40 with new disconnects...

These are some really cool finds/deals guys. Killer deals to be had out there

Nice pull, man!

I love finding those deals out there. I went to a garage sale (that I saw on CL) and got: a 5 gal carboy, a 6 gal carboy, a 6.5 gal carboy, a vinator, a floor corker, hydrometer and flask, a bottle tree (6 rings), and a box of misc. caps/brushes etc. all for $30. Unreal.

WOW... That's sweet

Undoubtedly... somebody's wife got ticked... and FINALLY had enough.

Good deal though.

Found a micromatic under bar glycol chilled 4 tap draft dispenser all stainless steel for $15. Had 4 4-1/2" stainless steel shanks and 3 chrome faucets with two tail piers and nuts with 2 pinlock liquid disconnects. Retail was around 1300

It is now the top as a coffin top on my keezer. Build thread in diy almost done with it

I just got 2 cases of never-used 22oz bomber bottles in their boxes and an unopened gross bag of oxygen barrier caps off CL for free. I think that's a pretty good deal!

A couple of years ago I found a guy with 6 cornies for sale-he wanted $100 so I headed over there. His inlaws had a concession stand every year at the county fair and sold homemade sodas. In addition to the 6 kegs I got a 6 way cold plate, a 6 way gas manifold and a box of keg connectors. Big score for me

This is the add I have on CL most of the year, you would be surpised what I have picked up and turned around and sold on CL.
>>>>>>>>>>>

Wanted - your used brewing equipment

I am a novice brewer, with the hopes to getting as good as I can get quickly! In order to do so I am looking for some supplies, i have enough to get by for now, but always looking for more. In no particular order, this is what I am looking for:

6 gallon Carboy - glass or plastic
5 gallon carboy - glass or plastic
6 gallon fermenting pail - plastic
3 or 5 gallon cornelius keg (Corny keg) - Ball Lock
15-20 gallon stainless steel brewing pot
Bottles of all kinds
Propane burner with stand, LP
CO2 tank
kegging equipment - CO2 regulators, taps, connectors

keywords: homebrew, home brew, homebrewing, home brewing, keg, kegs, beer, carboy, ferment, fermenting, fermenter

Well, everyone in VA Beach must believe they have the worlds greatest used POS chest freezer on the peninsula!

"great deal" =$100

Wha....?!?

Most ask $150. -including Lowes, which is where I got mine (scratch and dent)

I bought this on CL a while back.

20130920_174128.jpg

Just the O2 tank, cart and regulator. The rest I already had.

Listed for $25, tank was full. I chucked the breathing hose and use a beer line and .05 micron stone that I already had.

Gave the guy extra $25 to deliver it to my work instead of me going way up into Louisville, to get it. Still a good deal for me.:rockin:

pb

This is the add I have on CL most of the year, you would be surpised what I have picked up and turned around and sold on CL.

So do they know you're just turning around and selling it? That sounds dishonest to me, if you're appealing to the goodwill of a community that prides itself on fraternization. I'd be ok giving you something if I believed you'd use it, but not if you were trying to sucker me for a buck. I hope I'm understanding you wrong.

My score yesterday was two five gallon ball lock kegs, a 20lb co2 tank, regulator, and a chest freezer with temp controller for $175. After asking if he had any more brewing stuff for sale I ended up with a really nice keggle with thermometer and stainless ball valve and two glass 6 gallon carboys for $125. Total $300, definitely will help me on my way to kegging and 10 gallon batches.

So do they know you're just turning around and selling it? That sounds dishonest to me, if you're appealing to the goodwill of a community that prides itself on fraternization. I'd be ok giving you something if I believed you'd use it, but not if you were trying to sucker me for a buck. I hope I'm understanding you wrong.

Community goodwill and fraternization?

You're clearly not describing CraigsList.

i think id get a scotch brite and get that painted stencil off of the side of the corney before somone comes looking for it;)

and i sure wouldnt go emailing any pictures of it. i don't know about where you are but around here those things are HOT if you find one for sale..someone stole it. especially the 2 bigger ones.

It's so beat, that I'm pretty sure it met it's retirement, and a micro the size of Lagunitas wouldn't be using cornys for beer. I'm curious what it's past life was.... I like the idea someone had on page 1, apparently micros use them for yeast storage between batches..
As for the keggle and the Trumer 1/4bbl... they were in non-returnable condition when I purchased them as "stainless scrap"

and i sure wouldnt go emailing any pictures of it. i don't know about where you are but around here those things are HOT if you find one for sale..someone stole it. especially the 2 bigger ones.

All of my cornies are "property of wispak" but they sure as heck ain't getting 'em back. Unless you buy them shiny and new, chances are someone else owns them.

cornies are easy enough to come by legally, in VT the state takes ALL of the info when you get a keg so you cant just pay deposit and not return one, they can and do come looking for you. furthermore, no one is willing to sell a beat keg, all of the breweries all have someone they know who gets dibs, and any that do come up get snatched up by sugar makers...they are a hot commodity around here.

cornies are easy enough to come by legally, in VT the state takes ALL of the info when you get a keg so you cant just pay deposit and not return one, they can and do come looking for you. furthermore, no one is willing to sell a beat keg, all of the breweries all have someone they know who gets dibs, and any that do come up get snatched up by sugar makers...they are a hot commodity around here.

What do they do for brewery's that go out of business?

Question for all of you that find these great bargains. What terms do you usually search for when looking for home brewing stuff? Home brew? Beer? The name of individual stuff? Keg? Stock Pot? etc...

Direct search for the item has been productive for me. Also put a WTB ad out there yourself, for the item you are looking for.

Sent from my Desire HD using Home Brew mobile app

I also search what you said, in this order: homebrew, home brew, beer, keg, corny, cornie

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Home Brew mobile app

Back