Wyeast 1450 - Denny's Fave Experiences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pacman is great, but the Denny's brings out the malt much more without being underattenuated or sweet.
Although I'm looking forward to trying this recipe with the added maltyness, it has me worried about NHC. They tend to be sticklers when it comes to identifying a beer properly. In the past this was entered in 22C as a Wood-Aged American IPA. Same hops, but do you think that the added malt character that Denny's brings will move it toward being an English IPA for the base beer?

Although I'm looking forward to trying this recipe with the added maltyness, it has me worried about NHC. They tend to be sticklers when it comes to identifying a beer properly. In the past this was entered in 22C as a Wood-Aged American IPA. Same hops, but do you think that the added malt character that Denny's brings will move it toward being an English IPA for the base beer?

Being an English IPA has more to do with the hop profile and bitterness than anything. If you had an IPA with a good amount of body, but 80 IBU and all Centennial hops it would definitely be American.

I made the RyeBanger with 1450 and it turned out awesome. Chinook and willamette really made a nice combo with my admittedly heavy load of crystal malt. Even with all that. Crystal there is very little head to this beer. Does rye do that? I've noticed it with commercial rye beers as well. Anyhoo, just wanted to post one of my best brews to date.

I hope the screenshot is legible for you all! I need beersmith.......or something to make recipes easier to share.

image-33713086.jpg

I thought the Oaked IPA with Denny's turned out good . . . the judges, not so much. That's OK. Three more bottles for me. :D

Brewed a different batch yesterday with third generation of 1450. Called it Two Hopped IPA. Kind of a play on Bell's Two Hearted. It was Two Hopped with 1/3 Columbus and 2/3 Cascade to see if the rumors of that combination mimicking Centennial are true. Pitch the yeast at 9pm. Woke up around 2am and had to check. A good krausen had formed and airlocks were doing their thing. Looking forward to a tasty IPA.

I just pitched some Denny's yeast into my Fat Sam recipe (it's a balanced amber).

The whole brewday was a disaster yesterday from an inoperable pump to a clogged CFC. I ended up doing my first no-chill batch. :drunk:

Anyway, I thought the Denny's yeast might accentuate some of the victory/maris otter maltiness and I had high hopes for that recipe. Until I brewed it, that is. Oh well. It's certainly not the yeast's fault.

. . . an inoperable pump to a clogged CFC. I ended up doing my first no-chill batch.

I hate getting rid of my old stuff. Still have my first three gallon MLT in the basement thinking that some day I may want to do a quick PM. Haven't touched it in something like four years.

The moral of the story is that if I ever move to a CFC, I'll now have an excuse to hang onto my IC. Just incase! My wife would say that you’re feeding my hoarder mentality (but she’s worse than me.)

Took a look at your recipe and was sad to read what the motivation was for brewing it yesterday. Even with the brewday mishaps, I’m sure that Mike will be looking over this batch to make sure it comes out perfect.

how would you guys describe this yeast? do you think it adds a unique flavor/aroma to the beer? i used it in a cream ale and pitched the yeast cake into a dennys rye batch, and both beers have this very unique flavor and even an aroma that i am not sure i like. i am just looking for more comments on the flavor or aroma so i can pin down if its the yeast or some funk in my last brews.

Veedo said:
how would you guys describe this yeast? do you think it adds a unique flavor/aroma to the beer? i used it in a cream ale and pitched the yeast cake into a dennys rye batch, and both beers have this very unique flavor and even an aroma that i am not sure i like. i am just looking for more comments on the flavor or aroma so i can pin down if its the yeast or some funk in my last brews.

What temp did you ferment? This yeast gives me nothing but pleasant tastes at 63F. But I never used it in something light as a cream ale. Denny's rye i made was great.

I'll resurrect this thread to mention my happiness with my first use of 1450. It's in a NB Tallgrass Oasis. Made a starter 32 hours before and pitched at 67 degrees and in 4 hours, it started and is still going strong 4 days later. I've read that some feel attenuation isn't best but I'm more into final flavor and feel so even if I don't get the attenuation I want, I'm happy with it.
I plan on washing this yeast and using very soon in 2 more, different type brews.

I'll resurrect this thread to mention my happiness with my first use of 1450.
Still on the Denny train here. You'll find it's a yeast worthy of washing. Pitched into an American Wheat late on Sunday night. Had krausen by morning fermenting at 62-64 degrees. Thought the temperature would keep it down, but had a little blow-off this morning dispite lots of head space. If the smell from an airlock means anything, this will be a great beer. Good luck with yours.
:mug:

Lazy subscribe. I like 1450 and dont have problems with attenuation. Hell I used a yeast cake of it this weekend for my Barleywine :eek:

Just made the deception cream stout with it. I'll be washing the yeast for a black ipa and maybe another battch of ryepa.

Still on the Denny train here. You'll find it's a yeast worthy of washing. Pitched into an American Wheat late on Sunday night. Had krausen by morning fermenting at 62-64 degrees. Thought the temperature would keep it down, but had a little blow-off this morning dispite lots of head space. If the smell from an airlock means anything, this will be a great beer. Good luck with yours.
:mug:

I'm still on the same Denny train!

I've got it fermenting right now in an IPA, and then I"m going to save it and wash it and use it in my oatmeal stout.

The other yeast I'm quite taken with is Wyeast 1335. It's an English strain, but with a dry and malty taste to it. I ferment it cool, right alongside the other batch with Denny's, and comparing them head-to-head. (I'm doing 10 gallon batches, splitting them into 5 gallon fermenters and using different yeast in each).

My experience with the Denny's strain in the oatmeal stout is a richer mouthfeel than other other strain I've used.

Never thought about using it for my Black IPA I have planned. I've always used 05 and it's been delish. But, might as well get on this train with everyone else and give that a try too.
Doing an online search of yeast reviews, the 1450 didn't get nearly the love it gets on HBT. However, I value the opinions of those here much more. Final decision will be my taste buds.

Just won gold in the Strong Ale category at the LA County Fair using 1450. Been one of my most versatile and favorite strains, easy to wash and store, and gives me quick starts to fermentation. Love it!

Used the third generation of this run of Denny's yesterday. (Yup. Took the day off and brewed on a Monday. :)) In the past I've used Pacman in a pseudo lager, Munich Dunkel. Tried it with Denny's this time. Did a large pitch of yeast at 60 degrees and set fermenter to hold a wort temperature of 58. Had a good inch of krausen in less than eight hours.

It worked so well that I wondering if I could have gone lower. What's the lowest temperature any of you have fermented with this yeast?

I pitched a starter with 1450 into a pale ale this past saturday.
Activity in the fermenter was off and running early sunday morning, with the blow off growler full of sanitizer bubbles.
Checked it this morning and it has slowed quite a bit.

Looks like this beer is going to take a while to clear. I'm thinking 3+ weeks. Is that par for the course with 1450?

I brewed a IPA 1.077 last sunday. I pitched a 2 liter starter on monday morning. I took a sample tonight(7 days later) it was 1.021. I mashed 150-152 for 60 minutes. That is about 72% attenuation.

No airlock activity and I know thats not the only sign of fermentation. But you think its going to drop anymore? I was hoping that it would end up lower than 1.020?!?!

I am one who believes that you shouldn't even check until after 2 weeks or so. Wait another week and you'll likely be done a few more points.
That said, as mentioned here and elsewhere, some of us aren't seeing much less than you have even after 3 weeks.

I've got it fermenting right now in an IPA, and then I"m going to save it and wash it and use it in my oatmeal stout.

The other yeast I'm quite taken with is Wyeast 1335. It's an English strain, but with a dry and malty taste to it. I ferment it cool, right alongside the other batch with Denny's, and comparing them head-to-head. (I'm doing 10 gallon batches, splitting them into 5 gallon fermenters and using different yeast in each).

My experience with the Denny's strain in the oatmeal stout is a richer mouthfeel than other other strain I've used.

How did this turn out yooper? Any notes on the yeast comparison?

I am one who believes that you shouldn't even check until after 2 weeks or so. Wait another week and you'll likely be done a few more points.
That said, as mentioned here and elsewhere, some of us aren't seeing much less than you have even after 3 weeks.

checked it tonight, 1.019. I probably just need to be patient, I wanna dry hop this batch and drink it asap. Im not going to sweat the cloudiness, that doesn't bother me.

Cheers

I brewed a IPA 1.077 last sunday. I pitched a 2 liter starter on monday morning. I took a sample tonight(7 days later) it was 1.021. I mashed 150-152 for 60 minutes. That is about 72% attenuation.

No airlock activity and I know thats not the only sign of fermentation. But you think its going to drop anymore? I was hoping that it would end up lower than 1.020?!?!

Give it another week or so. I think you should get into to low-mid teens.

Give it another week or so. I think you should get into to low-mid teens.

Checked it today and its at 1017. Thats about 75-76% attenuation, i'll take it! Sample tasted awesome, lots of citra and amarillo in this one, can't wait!

Cheers!!

I racked a 1.065 ipa to a secondary yesterday. It was a step mash 148/153. It was down to 1.011 after 3 weeks. I was pretty impressed with that.

On the downside, after 3 weeks there was still a lot of flocculation that needs to happen. Still cloudy with suspended yeasties. Might give it 2 more weeks and then cold crash with my fingers crossed.

I kegged up an APA about 3 weeks ago and am still getting a glass full of yeast after it sets a day or two between glasses. Telling me the yeast has yet to settle down at the bottom of the keg.

this yeast was a nightmare! i harvested my yeast and re-pitched it and every beer, including the first was horrible sweet! a friend had used this and had good results, but it was a nightmare for me. unless my thermometer was off and i was way too low on temp, then this yeast was just too sweet.

I had low attenuation using this strain as well, but fortunately it ended up working out on the particular beer I used it in (an all late-hopped red, OG 1.066, FG ended up at 1.022). Mashed at 153. Produced an excellent mouthfeel and amazing maltiness, which ended up being an excellent complement to this particular beer. I was expecting it to get down to 1.020, but ended up being pleased with the results, even if it was a little sweet. Many people said this was one of the best beers they've ever had! I have since started using my go-to strain (Chico) for the same beer. Attenuates better, but I cannot replicate the combination of mouthfeel and maltiness with Chico. I may revisit the strain with a lower mash temp to attempt to get that combination back.

As with other, I had flocculation issues as well - cold crashed for 48 hours @ 35, but still quite a bit of sediment yeast after bottling.

My previous black IPA I used 05 and it was great. I just tried my latest black, exact same recipe but with 1450 and it's awesome. I wish I had some of the other batch to test side by side....both were winners but I think this one is smoother and lets the hops shine thru much more.
I keep this in my fridge as one of my 3 most used yeasts.

This is my go-to strain! It's not estery at all, but I've never fermented it above 67 degrees or so. It's really "clean" and allows the malt and hops both to shine, without being underattenuative. I really love it in all of my American style beers, and it was really great in my oatmeal stout as well.

What type beers is this good in? Edit- besides American style beers.

What type beers is this good in? Edit- besides American style beers.

IMO, that's about it, but that's a lot of styles! I wouldn't use it for British or German styles and it's certainly not a Belgian yeast! Did you have any particular style in mind?

1450 is the only yeast I use in my Am Brown. I also used it in an Imperial Stout and it's also fantastic. As far as styles....I would use this in anything that you want a full mouth feel. Anything your not looking for flocculation as it takes a long time to clear. Love the yeast and have never had any issues with attenuation. It is clean in flavor and really is a fantastic yeast when keeping it in appropriate style. Really a nice addition to the bank. :mug:

Agreed all round - a good, reliable yeast in terms of mouthfeel and low ester production. Great for American styles. I've also found flocculation to be pretty low, so keep that in mind. ALSO, I've found it to be a fairly slow yeast - even with pretty big pitches, it can still take 9 or 10 days to fully attenuate a wort around 1.050. At least that's at my ferm temps - 64-68...

Hey, all...
I pitched a 1L starter of Denny's Favorite into 1.070 wort @ 68 degrees and aerated w/ O2, yesterday @ 5:30 pm. I mashed in high @ 158 (oops) then held @ 154.
I had airlock activity by at least 9:30 last night. Checking this morning, surprised by only a little activity...and it looks like--judging by the crust ring--that I hit high krausen already??
Just wondering if this all seems ok? First time using this yeast. Thanks!

Back