Premier Cuvee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toppers

Reaction score
Just cracked my first batch of Apfelwein pitched with Premier Cuvee.

Going to go against the rules of this forum and say that it tastes a lot better than my Montrachet ones so far.

Not saying Montrachet doesn't really work well, but this batch with cuvee is already rocking taste buds at 3 weeks old, the character is different but I can't describe how, and I like it better (so do others that tasted it). My next batch is going to be cuvee after this.

Try new things

PremierCuvee.jpg

Does this yeast require nutrients?

If not, did you use them anyway?

What was the OG and the FG at three weeks?

Has it cleared, and is fermentation finished? If so, how long did it take compared to Monty?

Thanks,

Pogo

No wine yeast require nutrients, unless the must is nutrient deficient, such as with a mead. It won't hurt, but probably isn't necessary depending on the recipe.

Does this yeast require nutrients?

If not, did you use them anyway?

What was the OG and the FG at three weeks?

Has it cleared, and is fermentation finished? If so, how long did it take compared to Monty?

Thanks,

Pogo

No nutrients, OG 1.062 and FG 0.998.

3 weeks at steady 60F, and basically cleared now. Just letting it finish up the 4th week. It seemed to clear faster than identical batches of Monty that are just now finishing up after 4 weeks, at 70-72F nonetheless.
(My cuvee batch was in the basement and is in the lead by far).

Wow...what a performance...and at 60 degrees, too!

Down here in the 'Land of Cotton', I don't have access to anything near 60o.

I hope that fermenting at 70-75 degrees doesn't throw the taste off.

I'm gonna have to try this Cuvee. Too bad my LHBS doesn't carry it, four of the Lalvin yeasts only.

I'm on my way to order some of this stuff.

Thanks for the report!

Pogo

Have fun, it really is awesome yeast (my favorite by far)

I can confirm what you read from the manufacturer:

Winemakers have remarked that Premier Cuvée is the fastest, cleanest, and most neutral fermenter offered by Red Star. Cuvée is noted as a very low producer of foam, urea, and fusel oils.

Monty is anything but clean, was the first thing I notice. It stinks, is slow, and a pain to clean out at the end. Meh :confused:

Back