Extract Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymack

Reaction score
Does anyone have the opinion that good Stout can be made from extract (with Grain)?

I am planning on making an Oatmeal stout this weekend, but I found my last Irish Stout clone I made just lacked the mouthfeel and density I had hoped for.

Thanks,
J

yes, you can make an excellent stout with extract.

If you are after a heavier body, you have a few options:

(1) use a LOT of extract. You'll have higher ABV, but also a thicker brew.
(2) add some malto-dextrin sugar. it doesn't ferment or affect flavor, but adds body to the brew.
(3) use a high-dextrin extract (like Laaglanders). you will sacrifice some ABV in exchange for body.

-walker

had the same issue with my first extract oatmeal stout. not enough oats, not enough body. i think a partial mash, if youre up for it, would be the easiest way to make a decent one, but its up to you. i'd follow walkers advice, and also add a decent amount of oats, chocolate malt, and some black roasted barley. lactose is also a common addition if your looknig for a better body/mouthfeel.

drengel said:
lactose is also a common addition if your looknig for a better body/mouthfeel.

lactose doesn't seem to add much in the way of body (from my experience). I think your best best is malto-dextrin for added body.

-walker

Walker said:
lactose doesn't seem to add much in the way of body (from my experience). I think your best best is malto-dextrin for added body.

-walker

its an unfermentable sugar so it definitely adds body and a creamy mouthfeel without very much sweetness. malto-dextrin works well also. lactose is also a common addition in many oatmeal stouts.

Great tips as always, guys. Thanks.

As far as how much to use (either lactose or malto-dextrin) with a 5g/23L batch?

I agree with drengel!

Partial mash would be your best bet with a stout. Parital Mashes require little effort above extract, and are a good stepping stone. I remember doing a partial mash in my brewing youth and found it to be quite desirable, infact one of the best extract brews I made. It also will get you amp'd to do an all grain oatmeal stout... which, by the way, are heavenly ;)

Shambolic said:
That seems like a contradiction.
From what I've read (haven't used it myself), lactose is used almost exclusively for the sweetness it adds to the brew.

give lactose a taste and tell me whether you think its sweet. it is not a sweet sugar and imparts only a tiny bit of sweetness, much less than a crystal malt. 'sweet stout' is a misnomer that only signifies that there is lactose in the stout. lactose is added to increase mouthfeel/body, giving a creamy sort of feeling. one of my favorite local brews is a milk stout that is not 'sweet' however its not a dry stout like an irish one. once you brew with it you'll realize the sweetness is minimal while the creaminess is the major gain from using it. don't get me wrong though, i'm not saying it is not sweet at all, just more minimal than paople on this forum make it out to be.

I did this one have it on tap - it is pretty good for old extract and reference. I'd not say a great one but......

7lbs dark liquid extract
8 oz malto dextrin
12 oz crysal 60L
4 oz black patent
4 oz roasted barley
2 oz northern 60 minutes
1/2 ounce fruggle 5 minutes
nottingham dry yeast

og 1.050ish
fg 1.020ish

I said pretty good

1/2 lb MD for body and mouthfeel and 4 oz. of lactose for sweetness. (Maybe all of the pros are wrong about lactose being sweet, maybe not) You can't do much with oatmeal without mashing it.

Latest posts

Back