N/A Beer, how to make it non (N/A)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mochaman340

Reaction score
i live in a place where the only option is making your own or flying someplace where its sold. so we take the non-alcoholic version and go from there....now how do i introduce hops into this non-alcoholic version or is that even possible.....its going to be a crap shoot but id like to try....all the other cool ingredients cant be purchased here so i need something simple.......non alcoholic beer, hops, yeast is about it....any suggestions....and thanks

Non-alcoholic beer is pretty useless in creating real beer. Added hops might give it a little more aroma but that's it.

So you can get hops and yeast but no malt extract or malted barley?

the alcohol in beer is created when yeast consume sugar. there is probably not enough fermentable sugar (if any) in non alcoholic beer to create alcohol, so adding hops and yeast isn't going to help your situation.

if you're thinking about adding sugar to n/a beer and trying to ferment that, that sounds gross and i'd advise against it. bakers yeast sprinkled into a bottle of apple juice would probably be a million times tastier, even if you're not a cider fan.

if i was you i'd check out ciders, wines, and mead. you can get juice and honey where you live, right?

edit: this stuff gets rave reviews, uses mostly available ingredients (with the exception of wine yeast) and packs a wallop.

I'd try and buy some dry malt extract, and make it from scratch. Get some DME, Hops, and Yeast, and start brewing. You literally can't get decent beer from NA beer. There is not enough sugar in the stuff to ferment, and adding more sugar isn't goign to help the flavor at all, even with some real hops.

Hard cider is easy to make, compared to beer if you don't want to take the time to brew.

To make NA beer, you need to brew something with a low ABV. You then evaporate off the alcohol in an oven. The ability to force carb with CO2 makes this manageable, but it can be bottle conditioned with some trickery.

http://***********/feature/66.html

BierMuncher and I believe Evan! have done this with success.

MikeFlynn74 said:
lol- Sounds like hes deployed like me.

NA beer is the most useless substance in the universe

Overheard at Starbuck's : "I'll have a tall, nonfat, decaf latte with Splenda"

Why even bother at that point?

olllllo said:
To make NA beer, you need to brew something with a low ABV. You then evaporate off the alcohol in an oven.

He is trying to convert NA beer, to real beer, with a very limited array of supplies.
Specifically, I assume he is in Iraq/Afganistan, and has NO access to any brewing supplies.

If you were not really worried about quality, but wanted something "beer-like" with alchohol, then I'd imagine you could simply mix 5 gallons worth of NA beer, with 4lbs of sugar. Throw in some bakers yeast, and wait a week. Bottle, etc.

That would produce a 4.5%ABV beer-like drink. AKA known as "Prison Beer".

HP

We do have an unlimited supply of Applejuice.

That would be better especially since he can order US-05 online

Back