Pineapple Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BellsBeerDrinker

Reaction score
i want to combine my love of beer with my love of pineapple... the problem is, i just don't know whether or not the two will combine to make a delicious hefeweizen.

i'm worried that if i add straight pineapple to the secondary, that it will affect the head retention... so my thinking was to chop up some pineapple (half pound?) and sprinkle some sugar on it and then simmer it in a pan until it turns into a jam of sorts...

once i have that, i want to set it aside and pitch it in the boil during the last 5 minutes or the flameout... i am not sure which would be better...

i'm not looking for a huge pineapple taste, but i would like it to be noticeable.

does anyone have any experience with this? do you think that it will work...?

:mug:
thanks!

i just know that when you simmer down fruit to make a "jam" of sorts, you put sugar on it...

i'm up for trying anything though!

My club makes a Pineapple weizen. It is FANTASTIC. One of our members came up with the recipe and Widmer brewed 30bbls of it cause he won a collaborator contest. Pretty neat stuff. They gave him a tap handle and a custom jacket with his name embroidered on it.

I say brew it. It will turn out great.

For a 5 gallon batch we just added a bunch of frozen pineapple chunks to the secondary. It went pretty fast when it was done. We're gonna have to brew this again sometime.

My club makes a Pineapple weizen. It is FANTASTIC. One of our members came up with the recipe and Widmer brewed 30bbls of it cause he won a collaborator contest. Pretty neat stuff. They gave him a tap handle and a custom jacket with his name embroidered on it.

I say brew it. It will turn out great.

For a 5 gallon batch we just added a bunch of frozen pineapple chunks to the secondary. It went pretty fast when it was done. We're gonna have to brew this again sometime.

And the recipe is......?

In my coconut pineapple pale ale I used 2 12oz cans on pure frozen pineapple concentrate. Gave it a nice hint of pineapple.

A local craft brewery where I am has a seasonal pineapple Heffe they call Mr Pineapple. I was fortunate enough to talk with one of the brewers who shared their recipe with me.

5.5 gal batch
OG 1.051
FG 1.012

4lb white wheat
4lb 2-row
2lb Munich
aprrox 4 lbs canned Dole Pineapple juice (in 2ndary)

1 60 min addition of Hallertau to get around 19IBU

Mash around 154, underpitch a good Hefe yeast like WLP380, and ferment around 64.

BrewinHooligan, that recipe sounds delicious!

i'm going with:

7# german wheat
3# german pils
.5# munich
.5# caramunich

.75 hallertau - @ 45
.25 hallertau - @ 20

Wyeast 3860

mash @ 153 for 90

i was talking with my LHBS guy last night when i was milling my grains, and he suggested just getting some pineapple juice to pitch at flameout and then maybe another pound in the secondary...

i'm prepping my stuff now and will be brewing in a few hours. i will keep you all posted.

cheers!

FWIW I usually make a Watermelon Wheat in the summer but last year I decided to try different fruit. I did a split batch with 2.5 gallons as a Pineapple Wheat. It turned out well and there were no head retention issues (usually that only happens if you use something oily...say like coconut). I was shooting for something similar to Mana Wheat from Maui Brewing Co.

I used two whole fresh pineapples cut into chunks. I put the chunks in the freezer until primary fermentation slowed down, then racked on top of them in the secondary. Freezing them helps break down the cell walls so you tend to get better flavor extraction. My only complaint was the finished product didn't have enough pineapple character. It was fruity, but it wasn't identifiable as pineapple. In fact, it seemed more like fruit character you'd get from a yeast that produces a lot of esters. I can tell it's pineapple because I know it's in there but in blind taste tests nobody else has been able to identify it as pineapple. Next time I'll try 5-6 pineapples per 5 gallon batch.

Our recipe is this:

8lbs 2 row
3lbs white wheat
1lb 8oz munich malt
1lb 8oz corn syrup
1oz Hallertauer @ 60 min
1 pkg Wyeast 1007

Add 3lbs frozen pineapple to secondary

NOTE: ditch the corn syrup if you dont want it as strong.

the brew went great yesterday... hit the OG on the head!

i opted not to pitch any pineapple at flameout... it seems that the overwelming majority of people here just add frozen to the secondary, so I intend to go that route.

thanks for all of the input, i will post pictures and taste notes when it's drinkable.

p.s. Weihenstephan Weizen yeast is bonkers. heavy activity less than 16 hours.

Resurrecting an old thread. I'm about to add about 4 lbs of frozen pineapple chunks to the secondary of my wheat beer. About how long should I let it sit on the pineapple?

I kept the pineapple in for 2 weeks... i took a few samples at a week and 10 days to make sure that it hadn't gotten too fruity. 2 weeks was perfect, imo.

Been thinking about a batch of Kingerweizen as my next one......now that I've come across this post it may very well become Pineapple Kingerweizen!
Very intrigued by the idea of 4 lbs of pineapple juice in secondary.

a local brewery here in Columbia, Conquest Brewing, has a great beer that is seasonal. It is a pumped up version of their flagship Ale Sacred Heart Pale Ale... the pumped up version is called Sacred Heartier and they use Belma hops to induce a pineapple scent. it made me want to recreate the pineapple in it. i went out and bought some Belma and will buy more. haven't used it yet, but i will soon.

I used Diaperload's recipe on page 2. I didn't use the corn syrup as I wanted a light drinking beer. I bought two pineapples and after chunking them out, I had about 4# of fruit. I tossed them in the freezer and once primary had completed I added them to the secondary, and racked on top. I only kept the beer on the fruit for seven days and my beer has a ton of flavor/aroma from the pineapple. Fantastic recipe, fantastic beer! Looking to do this beer again next year in a 10 gallon batch.

Back