reusing yeast, do I need to wash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoostedF150

Reaction score
Or can I dump my fresh wort over the entire old yeast cake with trubb and all in the same carbon as the beer before? Btw it is safale 05

That will be overpitching if you are not brewing a very big beer and twice the size of your previous brew I wouldn´t do it. About a thir of the yeast cake is what I have used depending of course of what you are brewing

BoostedF150 said:
Do I need to wash it though or is it ok to use with all the trubb in it?

You don't necessarily "need" to, but it might lead to a cleaner beer. I've pitched on a full cake before with no issues. Overpitching on a homebrew scale is actually quite difficult to do.

BoostedF150 said:
What would be the result of pitching on the entire yeast cake other that just waste

Potentially... subtle carry-over flavors from your last batch, particularly if you used a lot of roasted malt or hops.

What would be the result of pitching on the entire yeast cake other that just waste

- Quick start, lots of kraeusen, and possible blow-off.

- Due to the increased activity, the temperature will rise quickly, and can result in higher alcohols if not controlled.

- Reduced yeast esters due to reduction in reproduction.

- Since there will be little reproduction, the old yeast will have to complete the fermentation. Could possibly end up with a higher FG than if you pitched less.

Back