Stuttgart bound...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy

Reaction score
So I'm heading to Stuttgart in a couple weeks. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on some great pubs/breweries I should hit up while there. There is a brewing museum that I've already made plans to go to. Anything else I need to know about?

Really excited though. I've never been and I'm a big fan of German beers so this should be alot of fun.

Cheers.

Are you SF? The only people left there that I can recall are SF HQ.

Almost any gasthaus you enter will have the local brews. Try them first.

Ask around from the people you will be contacting that are already there. :D

go to any outdoor festivals you can....

I went to Germany in my Junior yr of high school. I stayed with a host family and my host sister (man she was hot...) took me and some others to this outdoors festival thing that I got the impression that happend all the time.

It was really fun...brew was pretty cheap and they gave out those cool beer glasses that you put a deposit on (came home with a few...)

there was live music and lots of donner kabobs (damn those things are AWESOME!)

plus we walked around and aske "Wissen Sie wo ein mann ein bag voll grass kann finnden?" reminds me when we were in Berlin and I asked some random woman "Enshuldingung wissen Sie wo ein mann ein flashe wodka kann finden?" She looked at me funny but told me..

Germany is a really cool place and I'm excited to go back someday

Have fun!!

greenhornet said:
...we walked around and aske "Wissen Sie wo ein mann ein bag voll grass kann finnden?" reminds me when we were in Berlin and I asked some random woman "Enshuldingung wissen Sie wo ein mann ein flashe wodka kann finden?" She looked at me funny but told me...
No wonder she looked at you funny. You were insulting her culture by your stupid remarks.

I'm not putting you down, I'm just informing you why she reacted the way she did. It's a prime example of what they call the "ugly American". The UA has nothing to do with looks. It's about the way you treat people and the things you say that are insulting. You may not realize it, but it happens just the same.

FWIW, marijuana is difficult to find and vodka is found at every getrankmarkt.:D

I lived in Germany for 9 years. I know, I've seen it many times. I've even had to correct some of my friends in the middle of their act. They just did not realize what they were doing that's all.

I hope you make it back there someday.

Spater. Bis nachste mal!:mug:

Bill, the poster you quoted may not realize (I didn't, at least) why, exactly the remarks were insulting. Other than the broken (grammatically incorrect) German, what is wrong with asking that? I'm guessing maybe in their culture they make more small talk before just getting to the point, as we do in the U.S. ??

As far as bars in Stuttgart, I can't help you out there. If there is a U.S. military population there, I'd try to steer clear of most of the bars that cater to them, as the beer will likely be Amercianized (BMC-ish). Otherwise, ask homebrewer_99 how to ask a local German where to find a good bar.

yeah i know it was kinda insulting I guess...

but I was a 17yr old punk what do you expect?!?

I knew that wodka was available most places....I just didn't know where the hell we where at the time

and as far as the "bag voll grass" is conserned we did end up scoring some...not at the out door festival thing but at the highschool that we visited...from this turkish kid......it was the best/cheapest i've ever had....man it was awesome

dude wanted us to buy some hash but I was a bit skeptical

anyway I'm over that now so if/when I go back that won't be a problem

tchuse hat spass!

homebrewer_99 said:
Are you SF? The only people left there that I can recall are SF HQ.

Almost any gasthaus you enter will have the local brews. Try them first.

Ask around from the people you will be contacting that are already there. :D

not sure what you mean? if you mean in the military no I'm not.

yeah well it kinda sucks I'm going to miss the spring beer festival by 5 days :( so that kinda blows but yeah I was planning on spending as much time as I can in local pubs and what not. I have no desire to hang out in US military type bars. I will be staying a short distance from outside Stuttgart. by the military base but I don't plan on spending much time on the base itself.

greenhornet said:
yeah i know it was kinda insulting I guess...

but I was a 17yr old punk what do you expect?!?

I knew that wodka was available most places....I just didn't know where the hell we where at the time

and as far as the "bag voll grass" is conserned we did end up scoring some...not at the out door festival thing but at the highschool that we visited...from this turkish kid......it was the best/cheapest i've ever had....man it was awesome

dude wanted us to buy some hash but I was a bit skeptical

anyway I'm over that now so if/when I go back that won't be a problem

tchuse hat spass!
OK, at least you understood where I was coming from. Great. Later. :D ;)

I remember we used to buy hash at $1. a gram...those were the days...

newguy said:
not sure what you mean? if you mean in the military no I'm not.

yeah well it kinda sucks I'm going to miss the spring beer festival by 5 days :( so that kinda blows but yeah I was planning on spending as much time as I can in local pubs and what not. I have no desire to hang out in US military type bars. I will be staying a short distance from outside Stuttgart. by the military base but I don't plan on spending much time on the base itself.
SF = Special Forces.

Too bad about the fest, but chances are there will be several more in the surrounding towns. There usually are. I'm certain you'll catch a couple. ;)

desiderata said:
Bill, the poster you quoted may not realize (I didn't, at least) why, exactly the remarks were insulting. Other than the broken (grammatically incorrect) German, what is wrong with asking that? I'm guessing maybe in their culture they make more small talk before just getting to the point, as we do in the U.S. ??

As far as bars in Stuttgart, I can't help you out there. If there is a U.S. military population there, I'd try to steer clear of most of the bars that cater to them, as the beer will likely be Amercianized (BMC-ish). Otherwise, as homebrewer_99 how to ask a local German where to find a good bar.
Pat: In post #6 he says he realizes he was probably insulting...so all's well.

Are you still in Maine?

You are planning on getting together with several of the Sierra Vista brewers aren't you?

yeah mate figured you meant Special forces just wasn't sure. :)

And yes Desiderata you should check out the Hereford Hop Heads a new Southern AZ HB club! We love to meet new brewers from our area!

cheers,

newguy said:
And yes Desiderata you should check out the Hereford Hop Heads a new Southern AZ HB club! We love to meet new brewers from our area!

cheers,

Hey, just PM me when and where you guys meet or brew, and I'll come. I would join through your link, but I don't have (nor do I want) a MySpace account. Thanks.

Back