tri-clover removable element - brewershardware element adapter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent 2 years trying different elements and fittings. I ran water and PBW through the sytem to clean and test prior to brewing. Testing was good was able to hold about 1 degree. Took it all apart to see who thing looked. Found all the coating eaten off the element and it was rusted like it was 20 years old all in about 30 to 45 min of testing. Went through several different heating elements none worked. I must admit I never brewed until I it could pass the clean test. All the element I could find we not stainless steel they were some type of plated steel and the PBW ate them clean down to bare metal. Found a Stainless steel element at SABCO | Heating Element it's a little pricey but it works great and has the tri-clover end on it.

I bought and use a triclamp element adapter from brewershardware.com on both my HLT and BK. I'm using a short ferrule welded onto each kettle and there's just enough room to put the clamp on and tighten the clamp nut.

I was just curious if you guys noticed the body of the element adapter (where are the wires feed into and the element is screwed into) getting quite hot during operation. I don't see how yours wouldn't be if you're using the same design as me, since the element will heat the water, the water will heat the kettle walls and transfer that heat to the clamp and element adapters on the outside. The big screw on part of the element adapter is not hot (mostly cool to warm) but the cylindrical body of the element adapter is probably over 100F.

Is this something to be concerned about? At this point I've only done a water test and have my first brew scheduled for next week on the new electric system!

Regards,
Julian

I bought and use a triclamp element adapter from brewershardware.com on both my HLT and BK. I'm using a short ferrule welded onto each kettle and there's just enough room to put the clamp on and tighten the clamp nut.

I was just curious if you guys noticed the body of the element adapter (where are the wires feed into and the element is screwed into) getting quite hot during operation. I don't see how yours wouldn't be if you're using the same design as me, since the element will heat the water, the water will heat the kettle walls and transfer that heat to the clamp and element adapters on the outside. The big screw on part of the element adapter is not hot (mostly cool to warm) but the cylindrical body of the element adapter is probably over 100F.

Is this something to be concerned about? At this point I've only done a water test and have my first brew scheduled for next week on the new electric system!

Regards,
Julian

Anyone have similar issues? Trying to figure out if it's something to be concerned about or not. Please let me know :)

I realize this is an old thread, but I want to ask a question about the heating element rusting.

I remember reading somewhere that it's only an issue in the HLT because the BKTL element is in contact with acidic wort, and not just water.

Here's the question: Would you be able to force a patina on the element before using it in the HLT?

I've forced a patina on carbon steel knives, and it pretty much eliminates rusting in that application.

Back