How's this for an auto siphon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Product Features
Quickly and easily dispenses fuel oil, lubricating oil, and other non-corrosive liquids from barrels, tanks, and oil drums
Self-priming with easy turning hand crank
Not for water or corrosive liquids.
Output: 10 GPM; Fittings: adjustable 2"
bung adapter; Inlet: 1-1/4"; Outlet: 1"; Height: 50"

I would say definetly NOT food safe

Yea I caught that. You'd think someone would come up with something better for brewers than the cheap plastic auto-siphon that cracks with reapeated use.

Yea I caught that. You'd think someone would come up with something better for brewers than the cheap plastic auto-siphon that cracks with reapeated use.

They have...it's a $500-$1000 option called a conical. :)

I feel your pain; I've gone through a few racking canes over the years. A peristaltic pump isn't a bad idea and would probably help aerate as well.

I got all excited for a minute, I though it was stainless......

Actually folks on here have made threads trying to come up with a stainless one, that we could even use to rack near boiling wort with.

But I've used my Autosiphon for 4 years not and it hasn't cracked yet? THough I did crack my first one at the bend on the first use. And even then used it for a couple years before replacing it with my current one.

I've came up with a much better siphoning option than the auto-siphons. I preached the autosiphon's greatness when first getting one. But my second one breaking, I came up with this.

Materials needed.
5' length of 3/8" ID vinyl tubing.

That's it :D I like it MUCH better.

I have these super siphons. I haven't used them yet because I'm too cheap to buy the silicon hose, but these should be a great way to siphon very hot liquids without a pump.

I want to be able to move near boil wort to another vessel for no chill purposes. So, I envision a copper pipe of the appropriate diameter bent like a racking cane. Attach the siphon to a 2 inch lenght of silicon tube and then put the other end of the tube on the cane. Stroke up and down a few times and boom, y'er moving boiling wort via gravity.

These should also work for those who want to gravity drain hot work trhough a plate chiller or a counter flow chiller.

Back