Hop Utilization ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monk

Reaction score
Does anyone know a good way to gauge hop utilization when you do a late extract addition? I usually use Beertools to figure the amount of hops for the IBUs I want. But since I've started doing late additions of extract, the boil gravity is much lower for at least half of the boiling time. I add one or two pounds of dme, then boil for about 40 min, then add the other 3-4 pounds for the remaining 20 minutes. Any do this and have a good idea for IBU approximation? Thanks in advance!

CHeerS

monk

According to Qbrew, you only get a little more IBUs. I added 2oz Centennial boiled for 60 with only 2lbs DME and got 76 IBU, tried the same hops with 6lbs DME and got 74 IBU. If this is accurate, I don't think it matters much.

I'm interested in everyone's experiences with this as well. Also, another question along this same line is hop utilization when using a full boil. I just recently read that with a full boil you get a better utilization. I definately know this is happening with my brews, but my question is how much should i be adjusting the recipes. I've read 10-15%, but am wondering what peoples experiences are on this as well

From what I know, about 75% or more of the bittering hops are usually extracted within the first 30 minutes of boiling. I'm definently NOT a hop fan. I brewed a Microstyle American Pale Ale and drinking it now and YUCK. That came out to about 60 IBU's. Never again. Even the wife suggested that I dump it, but that would be sacrilege.

Palmer's utilization chart Also has some guidelines on the calculations.

You could use beertools to calculate the addition by using the first amount of malt. The first 30 minutes of the boil accounts for 80% of the utilization, so the late malt add won't change things much. Most of the easily dissolved hop resins are in the wort at 40 minutes & increasing the gravity cuts utilization even more.

Ol' Grog said:
From what I know, about 75% or more of the bittering hops are usually extracted within the first 30 minutes of boiling. I'm definently NOT a hop fan. I brewed a Microstyle American Pale Ale and drinking it now and YUCK. That came out to about 60 IBU's. Never again. Even the wife suggested that I dump it, but that would be sacrilege.
Don't dump it, just save it to mix with a sweeter brew. Serve it from a pitcher so you can mix it prior to serving.;)

I do late boil recipes also. I've read you get better hop utilization using less malt. I have not tweaked any hop additions/recipes using this method.

You know, I checked the figures again and they are really close, whether you boil 5 lbs of dme or 1. It's not a huge difference after all. Sweet. :cool:

monk

Back