50L Sanke Fermenter w/ Corny Lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeamusMac

Reaction score
Keeping up with the demand for relatively cheap and delicious Hefeweizen amongst my friends is becoming difficult so I've decided to take it upon myself to create a 50L capacity fermenter this Christmas break.

Here's my inspiration.

fermtop.jpg

Using this monster will allow me to ferment two 19L batches at a time and save me the hassle of cleaning 2 of everything (other than the corny kegs) plus it'll be really damn cool... I've found numerous websites that sell new and used corny lids, which I'll be ordering later this month. It is my intention to attach a removable plastic spigot to the side of the fermenter approximately 1" from the bottom of the keg, like the ones I already use on my ale pails. It allows me to ditch the racking cane and easily discard the worst of the yeasty beer.

Any unforeseen problems that HBT'ers might expect me to encounter?

i see no problems. Very interesting idea. Does the lid make a seal to the keg top? I have a 1/4 keg that i was going to use as a fermenter, but dont like the idea of cleaning through a 2 inch hole. this might be my solution, if you dont mind me stealing your thoughts LOL

i see no problems. Very interesting idea. Does the lid make a seal to the keg top? I have a 1/4 keg that i was going to use as a fermenter, but dont like the idea of cleaning through a 2 inch hole. this might be my solution, if you dont mind me stealing your thoughts LOL

The author of the article, which inspired this project said that you might have to remove the plastic feet on the corny lid latch in order to allow it to properly seat itself. Other than that there shouldn't be any issues related to creating a seal. Doing this will make cleaning a sanke keg easy!

If you get started on this project before I do please remember to post some pictures and comments.

Nice work!

It'll be a lot of work and if I didn't have access to a reciprocating saw with bimetal blades at work then I don't think it would be financially sound. I have to give a lot of credit to the guy who came up with this, he definitely has something goin' on upstairs ha ha.

I'm not sure whether or not I should use the pressure release as an airlock or if I should drill a hole and attach an airlock to a lid that I have without a p/r valve... Thoughts?

Here's a question.

My keg is domestic and has the strange star pattern embossed in the metal around the opening. It's easy enough to flip the keg over and install the corny lid on the smooth bottom but what should I do with the hole left by the spear assembly? My first thought was to set a drilled #10 bung in the hole from inside the keg with a piece of racking cane through the hole in the bung. That way I could drain the keg using the racking cane and spigot. I'm sure I'll get some sediment in there but a little cap on the end of the racking cane will act like an umbrella and block out the worst of it.

Here's a question.

My keg is domestic and has the strange star pattern embossed in the metal around the opening. It's easy enough to flip the keg over and install the corny lid on the smooth bottom but what should I do with the hole left by the spear assembly?

Looking at the image... that is what happened with this keg, it is upside down (can't see handles).

Along the lines of what to do with the hole left... it might be a decent Idea to go with a tri clover fitting that will attach onto the keg and you can drill/thread it for a ball valve allowing you to dump some of the yeasties. With the shallow slope of the keg you won't be able to get them all but every little bit helps

My lhbs had a keg for sale that was converted like this, but the corny lid was put in the top, mounted off center. This allowed you to siphon off any trub from the bottom using the corny post, and then serve using the sanke tap. all in one primary/secondary/serving keg, it was a pretty cool idea.

That thread was actually what got me interesting in converting my useless old keg into a large fermenter. I was concerned with being able to get into the keg though so that's why I shied away from the tri-clover fitting.

If I can make enough money working at my shiddy student job over the holidays then perhaps I'll be able to splurge on a tri-clover fitting for the bottom of the keg fermenter rather than using a drilled stopper. Although, I haven't been able to find a sanitary valve that could be securely attached to the bottom of a section of 3/8" stainless steel racking cane that comes through the fitting...

My lhbs had a keg for sale that was converted like this, but the corny lid was put in the top, mounted off center. This allowed you to siphon off any trub from the bottom using the corny post, and then serve using the sanke tap. all in one primary/secondary/serving keg, it was a pretty cool idea.

That sounds IDEAL, although I'm assuming I'd have to find someone who could do sanitary welds eh? Based on the level of quality and precision of the last job I got my local welding shop to do, I wouldn't trust him to do anything in a sanitary manner ha ha.

Back