Welding Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarJohnson

Reaction score
Need some advice. I just picked up my metal for single tier stand. My buddy is an iron worker and will be welding the stand this weekend. I have rented a Hobart 125 mig welder. My question is what kind and what guage wire do I buy for this machine. It looks as though it takes up to .035 wire. I bought 2 inch .120 square tube for the the stand. I am out of my comfort zone on this one. My buddy can use the machine, no problem he is just used to welding serious iron so even he is unsure what gauge or kind of wire to use.

Clarify-It is wire feed no gas.

By the way anyone in the WI area looking for metal. I found a place called Midwest Metal Wharehouse. I got everything I needed for 100.00 and they cut every peice to length!

.035 sounds about right if you are welding up to 1/8" thick. You can adjust speed and heat to get a good weld from there. The thinner wire is mostly for sheet metal.

I agree...I am a long time welder and have my machine setup for .035...although it is a 220V welder I do weld thin stuff by turning down the feed speed and heat.

Make sure that if you are NOT using a "shielding gas" (argon/C02 mix) that you buy the appropriate wire for "no gas" application or in other words FLUXCORE. If you are using gas buy the shielding gas wire (non fluxcore) and set your regulator to 10-12 psi...anymore is a waste of gas.

The shielding gas wire will work WITHOUT gas, but ANY type of breeze or your breathing..... anything will affect your weld big time. The shielding gas is there for just that...to shield out the contaminants and outside air.

Other tips....make sure your ground is GREAT.....Adjust the speed of the wire and heat of the arc enough to where you have atleast 1/4" of wire showing at the wand while it is burning...if it is melting on the tip or coming out too fast to keep up with the burning...adjust accordingly. Everytime you arc a new start, take the time and clip off the burnt end leaving 1/4"-3/8" NEW wire exposed, tap the nozzle LIGHTLY with some dykes to remove buildup...some people say use PAM spray...never saw a need for it.

Hope this helps

Ok I'm getting it now. Fluxcore .035 it is. Be careful when not using gas as shielding, which I am not. Only because my rental choices are limited. Plan to weld in the garage so hopefully breeze will not be an issue.

Thanks Much!

Definitely do yourself a favor....weld away from any wind (but have some type of ventilation).

Clean the wand tip often by tapping it lightly with some dykes

Clip the wire everytime you start a new weld (within reason...if you are stitch welding not necessary)

Your weld should be FLAT...if it is raised the feed is too fast...if it is really raised heat is too low and feed is too fast...play with it...you'll get it.

GOOD LUCK!

You will need a self-shielded flux cored electrode. It is basically a SMAW (stick) electrode turned inside out and spooled.

I would recommend a E71T-14. Very common and easily attainable at lower prices. Here is some product info: E71T-14.

If you're welding in the garage, then you will need some sort of ventilation, this process puts out some serious smoke. It will coat anything exposed to it, including your lungs. It would be much better to weld it outside with wind shields if the breeze is over 5mph. If the wind will pick up a piece of paper, then you will need some sort of wind shield. A piece of plywood 2ft away, blocking the wind would work well.

The tips form ILOVEBEER are spot on.

Back