Changing some things up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joentuff

Reaction score
Ok here is what I started with,

3 gallons members mark apple juice
2 cans tall tree concentrate
16oz clover honey
4oz molasses
1 gallon water
1 package brewers yeast

Basically I mixed it all inside a primary and it's been sitting in there for 3 days, my question is; can I add some more apple juice and maybe some brown sugar soon to help boost the ABV%? Then sorbate it in about another 7-14 days and back sweetin it? I haven't ever added more sugar to a primary once fermenting had began so I want to make sure I don't mess it up.

Yes, you could add apple juice and sugar at pretty much anytime, though remember that more sugar isn't always a good thing: more alcohol will make it hotter and take a bit longer to mellow with age. Personally, I would just go with the juice, but if you want to boost the alcohol, go for it. Since you started with honey, maybe add more honey instead of a different sugar so you can get more of the honey quality in it.

To sorbate wait until it is completely done fermenting (3 days of constant hydro readings), rack it, sorbate, and sweeten. If it's done in a week or two you can do it, but if you add more fermentables (especially extra sugar) it could take longer than that to dry out again, so go by hydro readings, not an arbitrary time scale.

Also, remember to sulfite along with sorbate to stabilize.

Cheers,
BB:drunk:

There are tons of recipes in my Extreme Brewing book by Sam C. (owner of Dogfish Head Brewery) which instructs the home brewer to add extra fermentables to the brew after primary fermentation has started.

In fact, the Imperial Pale Ale recipe I'm going to try next will require me to add 1/2# of light brown sugar to the brew two days into fermentation. So, go for it! Just make sure that you dissolve the brown sugar in water and boil it thoroughly before adding it to the fermenter (don't forget to cool it off afterwards though) to ensure you aren't introducing any microorganisms to the brew.

Add more sugar(s) if you like, up to the yeast's tolerance if you want. More alcohol = more aging. Brown sugar is just regular sugar with a little molasses added to it, and a little molasses goes a long way; I put 10 oz (by volume) in 6 gallons of cyser & it really overpowers the honey (22lbs), but it's a flavour that goes well with apple, albeit in moderation. You might want to do a taste test before you add more brown sugar or molasses & see if that's really something you want to do. You could always add regular sugar, or even corn sugar. The whole point being: it's easier to add more than it is to try to remove it. Regards, GF.

Ok if I'm going to add more honey can I add it directly to the primary or do I need to first heat it on the stove to dissolve it?

You can just pour it in if you want, it'll just take a little longer for the yeast to get at it than if it was dissolved. I usually dissolve it in a little hot water as it's easier to clean up after. Regards, GF.

Back