Primary Heater?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallygator

Reaction score
How consistent would a water bath with an aquarium heater in it be to heat a primary up to 68-70F ? I have heard that this should work, and I have a few different heaters lying around. My garage is about 40-50F this time of year, and I would like to brew up an Ale, there's a Dunkel lager in the primary now.

I may just try it with a bucket of water to see if it works.

thanks
wg

Thanks,

I set a 200w heater (with a temp control on it) in a 15 gal tote, with it turned to 68 the temp is staying @ 65 and the garage was right at 40 last night. Works great.

wg

From having a reef tank for several years.. You're better off having a few smaller heaters than one big one in case one fails, either fails on or fails off. They usually fail ON so the temp will rocket up. Not quite like killing $10k worth of corals and other livestock, but I'd hate to ruin a batch of beer either. :D

I do this with a small heater (10W, maybe?) in either a 10gal beverage cooler or a 70qt Igloo Extreme cooler and it seems to hold a 68degF temp very well in my 50degF basement. I keep a couple trash bags draped over the top for light as well as additional insulation.

Here is what my BIL and I do -- two 50 watt heaters in a big cooler. Works great, even below 50F (no problem holding ferm temps at 68F).

9120d1231287919-cool-tricks-you-have-learned-over-years-06-05-080625.jpg

Back