PM: Racer 5 IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

199q

Reaction score
Anyone have a partial mash or all extract recipe for the Racer 5 IPA? this is one of my favorite beers and I have been unable to find a recipe for it so far.

Thanks!!! :rockin:

Speaking of beers from Bear Republic, did you try yours yet? What did I send you? Black Bear Stout and Hop Rod Rye?

sweet Ill check it out. I am excited to try this one out. are the BYO recipes usually all grain? or do they have a partial mash/ extract version available?

EDIT: they have both versions. thanks!!

I found this through another site. It claims to be the clone recipe posted in BYO in '04. Not sure how good it is, but looks tasty!

Bear Republic Racer 5
===================
11.25 lbs 2-row Pale Malt
1.66 lbs Wheat Malt
0.625 lbs Crystal Malt 15L
0.42 lbs Dextrose
0.21 lbs CaraPils Malt

6.1 AAU Chinook 90 min
8.7 AAU Cascade 60 min

0.3 oz Amarillo dry hop
0.3 oz Centennial dry hop
0.2 oz Cascade dry hop
0.2 Tomahawk dry hop

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II or
White Labs WLP051 California V

Mash in @ 145 then raise to 152 until conversion
Boil for 90 min

Extract: Replace all but 1 lb of the Pale malt with 4.25 lbs of DME
Steep grains for 45 min @ 152

I found this through another site. It claims to be the clone recipe posted in BYO in '04. Not sure how good it is, but looks tasty!

That IS the recipe out of BYO and they thank someone who works at Bear Republic for help with the recipe, so I would expect it to be pretty close. It's on my short list of future brews. Love Racer 5 and can't get it here!

holy hops!! thanks for the recipe twoheadsbrewing. maybe ill try to bring this to a brew day sometime. I am really really excited about the Citrus wheat. it smelled great fermenting. :rockin:

I too, love Racer 5.

When I returned to brewing, I brewed the exact recipe posted above and it is NOT right. From my post brew notes:
- Color is way off - it is too light. Make sure 40L is used
- Cut back on bittering hops
- Taste is like an "IPA Light" beer

Who knows, maybe an off day, but that recipe sucks. I still have a case full of the stuff in storage to see if the bitter mellows. Sorry, but I have brewed 12 batches of AG varieties since then, but that recipe is no good.

Like I said, I love Racer 5 and have come up with some alternative IPA's more in line with Lagunitas IPA.

Ok, I've looked at Bear Republic's site and here's what it says about their Racer 5:
Racer 5 - This is a hoppy IPA. Did I say hops? Your brewer is a hop head! This is a full bodied beer using American grains. The goal was to create a base for showing off the unique floral qualities of two Pacific Northwest hops, Columbus and Cascade. Columbus is a new hybrid High Alpha Acid hop used mostly for bittering, but used heavily as an aromatic in this strong brew. Cascade is the balance that ties the malt and bittering hops together. It is a true specialty ale and is our brewer's statement on this style.
og 1.070, ABV 7.0%, IBU 69

When I run the numbers for a 5.5 gallon batch with the recipe above I get some weird numbers. However, if I make the following modifications it pencils out and looks about right for an IPA...maybe some more experienced AG brewers can help too. I get the following numbers for the revised recipe @ 75% efficiency:

OG: 1.072
Color: 7.0 (still very light, and on the lower end of the scale for an IPA)
IBU: 65.8
ABV: 7.0%

Racer 5 IPA Clone - 5.5 gallon batch
11.25 lbs 2-row Pale Malt
1.66 lbs Wheat Malt
0.625 lbs Crystal Malt 40L (maybe swap out for 1# of 60L?)
0.42 lbs Dextrose
0.21 lbs CaraPils Malt

1.25 oz Chinook(13%) 90 min
1.00 oz Cascade(6%) 60 min

0.3 oz Amarillo dry hop
0.3 oz Centennial dry hop
0.2 oz Cascade dry hop
0.2 Tomahawk dry hop

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II or
White Labs WLP051 California V

Mash in @ 145 then raise to 152 until conversion
Boil for 90 min