Bucket Liners.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tired of cleaning your gear?

How about trying these; "Reynolds Turkey Bags" as a bucket liner. Food Grade, heat tolerant, pH tolerant.

Sure they arent re-useable and it may make getting your lid seal properly a issue. But, if you are a seasoned brewer you shouldn't be concerned about that anymore.

I have found cleanup to be a breeze with these and now, I am not concerned about sctatching my buckets insides.

I have tested a StarSan solution on them as well by wetting the liner and letting it set. I saw no signs of liner breakdown from the Acid contact.

Now, all I do is rack the beer out of the bag leaving the yeast cake behind, pull the liner and toss it. I am left with a clean bucket and no lingering odor.

Easy, Peasey.

Prost!

Note: I never re-use the yeast cake ( I favor dry yeast and usually pitch 2 sachets) so, I have no experience with how the liner will hold up to double batches. I do however practice extended primary fermentations. My test batch with this liner extended beyond 1 month.

B0006M4XUK.01-A3CDPEGSIQM61V._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V44338907_.jpg

Happy now?

I find the 18-24 pound size to be best for the typical 6 to 7 gallon bucket.

B0006M4XUK.01-A3CDPEGSIQM61V._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V44338907_.jpg

Happy now?

I find the 18-24 pound size to be best for the typical 6 to 7 gallon bucket.

I was thinking more along the lines of actually seeing it in use in your brewery....in the bucket when you are racking...the yeasties on the bottom...how you get it around the lip of the bucket and get it closed...preferable demonstrated by a hot nubile redhead, in fishnets....But that's just me...

:D

Yeah. I figured.

I am bald, fishnets chafe, and my red clown hair wig is in storage til next halloween so, you won't be seeing any of that. It will be some time before I brew again and I did not take pictures of the this batch. Beside that, with that image the only bile you might see would be from your own regurgitation. :eek:

The bags are tall enough to fit over the lip of the bucket like a trash bag. And my lids sealed over them no problem.

I was satisfied enough with this in that I didn;t have to soak the dry krausen off the side of the buckets and, using the liners, I can stack my buckets to save storage space without worrying about possibly marring the insides.

I am postponing all brewing until I receive my rig. I should have it this week but, with the baby coming next Tuesday it may be some time before I can assemble the rig and fire it up.

This sounds great! According to reynolds, these bags are made of nylon. I am rather new to this world, and rather paranoid, and am wondering if there is a thorough breakdown somewhere online of the various plastics and their pros and cons for food/brewing/etc? Plastic is one of those things that just seems unnatural, but it is so useful if you can get over that.

Sweet. Now make it work with a spigot and I'll use one every time.

I like the prophylactic concept. After the yeast party with the sugar, and your fermenter is drained of nectar, just peel the bag off and discard it with the spent proteins. :D

I really like the idea of this. I'm a spigot user too. How about cutting a narrow slit in the bottom side of the bag and then thread the spigot through, tightening the gaskets with the bag between them and the bulkhead?

Gotta make sure the spigot isn't irredeemably contaminated though or its all for naught.

Thanks. Now I just have to do my mash in a bag just like the Aussies do...

I have several brews in on these and they work like a charm. There will be some condendsation on teh outside of the bag (in the bucket) but a quick rinse and all is good.

Filling the bag is still a little tricky and I have yet to find the best way to do it other than just do it. You have to manage the air release from the outside of the bag.

It's also kinda interesting too when you have pulled the bag, tied a knot in it and have set it aside, waiting to go into the trash, to have it inflate. Thankfully, the only one that has burst was in the trash. I have since been dumping the yeast into the compost.

I have yet to find any bags larger thanm the 18-24 pound but, they work with just a little cautionary effort at filling.

That is great, I have a bucket that i retired because of a few scratches. Now I will pull it out of retirement and put a bag in it.

My LHBS sells bucket liners for $1 each....doubt these are the same thing, but very similar. Ones i get are basically just plastic bags, but fit perfect, so i usually buy a couple when i'm in there. alot less clean up, and not worried about scratched buckets. :mug:

OK, Ed wort and others. I have heard from this thread and others you all say you use a bucket with a spigot. How does that work as a primary. It seems to me that the spigot would be useless for anything but for bottling as you would be sucking out the yeast on the bottom of the bucket. Am I missing something? I have recently went from Conicals back to carboys and was even considering going back to buckets because I could fit more in my fridge and they may be easier to clean.

Tom

OK, Ed wort and others. I have heard from this thread and others you all say you use a bucket with a spigot. How does that work as a primary. It seems to me that the spigot would be useless for anything but for bottling as you would be sucking out the yeast on the bottom of the bucket. Am I missing something? I have recently went from Conicals back to carboys and was even considering going back to buckets because I could fit more in my fridge and they may be easier to clean.

Tom

The spigot is just above where the trub usually is, at least on my buckets.

Back