Basement brewery 90% complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c3hutson

Reaction score
My biggest concern was appropriate ventilation. I've seen a cool build on here utilizing a 55 gallon steel barrel cut lengthwise and welded together and figured that was an excellent idea. My dad has some free plastic barrels laying around so he fabricated the hood using that. Definitely a cost effective solution. Powering the hood is a 500ish CFM hydroponics fan.

Next up was gas. The furnace is right behind the camera POV so I tapped off a natural gas line using 1/2 CSST proflex line. Built a manifold with black iron and used mr. Heater universal natural gas hookups from the manifold to the burners. At 20 dollars each they are a bit of a steal considering they include a ball valve.

Next up was a sink. I was glued to craigslist for MONTHS trying to find a nice stainless sink from a restaurant auction, never found exactly what I wanted. Ended up with a Mustee poly laundry tub for TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS from Home Depot.... Killer, killer deal. Plumed it to a drain line from the first level half bath right above the sink location. I'm researching faucets, but for now I use a use right off my water meter (pressure is hilariously high). There's PEX to tap into right above the sink when the time is right. I'll probably also add a ball valve off the PEX with a hose fitting to dedicate to my chiller since it's right next to the boil kettle. Sink is drained with a 1/3 HP Sump pump from menards. It's simply in a bucket (for now) while I look for a sealed basin to use.

Next up, more electricity, hood lighting and shelving.

image-433744656.jpg

image-391871613.jpg

image-1670976852.jpg

image-905114140.jpg

image-1975670812.jpg

image-862547458.jpg

image-242594864.jpg

Someone replied? I lost hope. I know it's no kal electric or anything but sheyiiiiiitttt

Sounds great, can we see a picture of the hood? Also: Accidentally Imperial Witness Protection is a great beer name.

I'm over in Battle Creek. I have been considering cleaning up a small room in the basement where the breaker box is located to use for an electric rig. Wasn't sure about ventilation. You may have just given me an idea.

Looks great and your brewing chair is much nicer than my lawn chair. I'm just wondering if you have a fresh air source. Conventional wisdom is that having 3 burners indoors is not very safe. I would think you need some "make up" air

Looks great and your brewing chair is much nicer than my lawn chair. I'm just wondering if you have a fresh air source. Conventional wisdom is that having 3 burners indoors is not very safe. I would think you need some "make up" air

I do have a make up air source.

It looks good but for safety's sake I would invest in a larger fan than the 500 CFM. You can calculate the CFM needed based on the BTUs of your burners but I imagine 500 is way too low. Take the BTU's and divide by 30. For my burner (210,000 BTUs) I'd need a 7000 CFM fan!

Nice! Oh wait...
Looks like a Keystone Light case in the faucet picture?
Keystone wasn't light enough for you?
No shame in drinking water, why should there be shame in drinking watery beer, right?:)

It looks good but for safety's sake I would invest in a larger fan than the 500 CFM. You can calculate the CFM needed based on the BTUs of your burners but I imagine 500 is way too low. Take the BTU's and divide by 30. For my burner (210,000 BTUs) I'd need a 7000 CFM fan!

There are CO detectors everywhere (with digital displays) and none have registered ANY carbon monoxide. No steam has condensed during 90 minute boils on the walls/inside the hood. I know there are calculations, but based on 5 batches already using this system, things seem good.

Nice! Oh wait...
Looks like a Keystone Light case in the faucet picture?
Keystone wasn't light enough for you?
No shame in drinking water, why should there be shame in drinking watery beer, right?:)

Haha, the keystone was a gag gift for my haloween party that I had debuting the tap setup. It's sat there for months, untouched!

Awesome setup, that's sweet that you were able to tap the natural gas line directly.

Can you post more about the tap system? That is major-league cool. Did you build a kegerator into that cabinet?

Awesome setup, that's sweet that you were able to tap the natural gas line directly.

Can you post more about the tap system? That is major-league cool. Did you build a kegerator into that cabinet?

There's a keezer in the basement directly under this cabinet. I ran a trunk line down to it (had to drill through the tile that's under the cabinet and my god...). Uncooled line length is about 8-10 ft. I originally was cooling the lines with a keg full of water in the keezer and a pump recirculating through the trunk line, but realized it wasn't worth all of the space, and didn't make a huge difference. The first ounce or two is warm, but if you pull a full pint or more it is unnoticeable.

There are CO detectors everywhere (with digital displays) and none have registered ANY carbon monoxide. No steam has condensed during 90 minute boils on the walls/inside the hood. I know there are calculations, but based on 5 batches already using this system, things seem good.

Is that what that thing next to your laptop is? I have never used propane or natural gas inside so my post was not based on an experience. I am glad to hear your system vents as well as it does though. It was a post out of concern, not of criticism.

Is that what that thing next to your laptop is? I have never used propane or natural gas inside so my post was not based on an experience. I am glad to hear your system vents as well as it does though. It was a post out of concern, not of criticism.

The device next to my laptop is a blichmann tower of power module. The CO detector is not in frame of the shot. There are also two more on the upper levels of the house (one is near the floor right above the brewing area)

Back