Should I move my fermentation? (New chamber built)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoppaFarms

Reaction score
Hey folks. First batch has been in the fermenter for 2 weeks today (Irish Stout). I live in S. TX and it's been rather warm, so I've had my bucket sitting in the coolest part of the house (2nd bathroom) in a tub of water to keep the temperature relatively constant. My mini-fridge fermentation chamber is built now with an STC-1000 and I'm wondering, should I move it into the fridge, or just leave it be since it's been sitting there for 2 weeks already? I planned on waiting until next week to take a FG sample and potentially bottle. It's got a packet of dry Muntons in it and the airlock activity has been relatively slow from what I gather it's supposed to be (I guess I don't have a good seal on the bucket lid). I don't know how far along fermentation is yet (no sample and I can't see inside). I'd say the temperature has been between 68-71 in the bathroom for 2 weeks. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Wouldn't be a problem to move it, but the amount of activity going on in your primary isn't enough to benefit much from dropping the temp a few degrees. Besides, your temperatures aren't particularly high...at least not this late in the game.

Congratulations fellow Texan on getting your STC-1000 setup going.

For this batch, I wouldn't worry about moving it now since it's on the home stretch.

I checked the airlock this morning (I have an "S" type, not 3 piece) and there is definitely some fermentation going still, albeit slow. Thanks for the input guys! I can't wait to break into this batch and see how it turns out, still gotta wait another 2-3 weeks though!

As others have said, moving it would not be a problem, but I'd leave it. I'm in San Antonio and struggle with ferm temps. I work to keep most of mine in the mid to high 60's but I raise them up to the low 70's after the majority of fermentation has completed, while the yeast clean house.

Ok now I've got another question regarding this topic....

My beer (Irish Stout) has been in primary since Feb 7 (about 2.5 weeks now). I have had VERY little airlock activity to this point but have smelled beer in the room where I am fermenting (I know airlock activity isn't really an indicator of fermentation especially in a plastic bucket, but hear me out).

I left town for the weekend only to come back to a fairly active airlock (about one big bubble per minute) after having nearly NO activity for 2 weeks. Any idea why it would have ramped up like this while I was gone (especially this later after pitching)? Should I move it into the ferm chamber now since there is still significant fermentation activity going on?

The fermenter is in a cool bathroom in a half filled tub of water. The water temp is reading 67 right now, no crystal thermometer on this fermenter though.

I would recommend NOT moving the beer. Fermentation generally slows towards the end, moving the beer to a cooler environment could significantly reduce activity, causing the beer to finish at a higher than desired FG. If anything, towards the end of fermentation, you would add heat to ensure full fermentation activity.

Airlock bubbling can change due to temp changes, pressure changes, or just because the yeast like Thursdays better. Take a gravity reading over multiple days, if it doesn't change, cold crash it in your new ferm chamber, then bottle.

Ok, that is something I hadn't taken into consideration, ambient pressure. That would make sense that if your environmental pressure changed (due to weather) that you could see more or less bubbling. Alright, well, I'll just leave her be and keep an eye on the activity!

Back