Slow Cooker, Pressure Cooker???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno1ryno

Reaction score
I am looking for an easy way to steep grain.

I also would like to hop the wort towards the end in the same pot.

Slow cooker? Do they have temp control?

I have a pressure cooker I dont use aymore... would love to hear stories about this.

I also heard about using a rice cooker.

here indeed is a story, second hand information. i have a friend who uses a cheap crock pot type 30L electric kettle thing. i have never witnessed this in person, but apparently he mashes in there using the temp knob but checking with an actual thermometer, does step mashes, then dumps the grain to a colander and sets a grain bed by recirculating (by hand, ie pouring back over with a pitcher or something), then heats sparge water in the kettle and sparges, collecting wort in the fermenter, then siphons back and boils the wort in the same crock pot. he said his brew day takes an absurd number of hours, but apparently he likes the ritual of it all. personally, if i were to use one of those pots, i would BIAB like earwig suggests, either not sparging or heating the sparge water on the stove in a smaller pot and just dunking the bag in there. much much easier.

Cool thanks.

My new requirement is that I have to boil grain outside, not in the house.

I heard of using a turkey fryer... that sounds interesting. FY... I am not interested in meeting temp schedules by doing an AG. So LME and partial is probably my approach.

I though the OP was referring to extract with steeping grains and not partial mash or all grain. If you only need to steep some grain for an extract batch, the stove is fine. I don't have any experience with using crock pots etc.

Yea, when I was doing extract I liked to toss my grains in a bag, and then just put the bag in the pot while it was heating. Took it out once it hit 160-170F. Worked great.

Back