Dungeons and Dragons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkapottomous

Reaction score
Finished our very first campaign a few minutes ago.

Was really fun.

I'm working on a Dwarven Fighter, backstory is that he was a human, one might call him a midget. Came across a wizard one day and begged to be made taller, so the wizard (being an *******) turned him into a dwarf.

He's spent the last twenty-five years in an angry/depressive drunken stupor plotting revenge.

He is..

Darrel, The scorned

Things were going fine until I tried to intimidate that high elf in the bar fight by screaming in her face (I was drunk) and she stabbed me in the foot.

I have a feeling we've found our new game.

Finished a campaign? My last major campaign was a Hackmaster campaign and it went on for 3 years . I played Garvin Berlone a fighter, total badass, with a intelligent weapon. Hackmaster is based on AD&D so its old school. It was fun though. What D and D version are you playing?

LOL Nice! I've been trying to get a group together, I have come up with a campaign setting that I think would make for a fun, long running game. IF I can get folks that can play, I will be using the Dark Dungeons retro-clone of Rules Cyclopedia as the base system, with some major tweaks that come from the old SPI Dragonquest, Chaosium's Runequest and some ideas of my own... I also recently got the Red Dwarf RPG and am dying to play it!

Finished a campaign? My last major campaign was a Hackmaster campaign and it went on for 3 years . I played Garvin Berlone a fighter, total badass, with a intelligent weapon. Hackmaster is based on AD&D so its old school. It was fun though. What D and D version are you playing?

okay, maybe not a campaign. Scenario?

We're not doing advanced. My DM kit is fourth edition, and some of our books are 3.5. The difference doesn't seem to be very noticeable so we'll see if something comes up in the next one we run.

I've been playing D&D and other games since the red Moldvay Basic rules... Rune Quest, SPI's Dragonquest and Stormbringer were my faves... I have only played D&D 3.5 a couple times, never have done 4e.

I usually GM, but love to be a PC when I can

I played a little as a kid...never really got too into it. Is there any online D&D games? I figured by now it would have gone that direction.

Yeah, there is Dungeons and Dragons Online, Lord of the Rings Online, World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online... I have never played the online D&D game, but I do play the other 3 I mentioned... there are others as well, also there are sites to play D&D and other games on "virtual tabletops"

SamHain said:
I played a little as a kid...never really got too into it. Is there any online D&D games? I figured by now it would have gone that direction.

Neverwinter Nights as well.

Man, I havent played in probabily 15 years. Used to every weekend though. I think I still have 3-4 sets of dice

Fun stuff. Tried to introduce to my kids, but the little I played, and their busy schedules), weren't conducive to making a very good showing of it. We more of less shunned the normal rules so as to make it more like telling a story than worrying about endless minutia. It was fun thinking up the small dungeon and some puzzles and whatnot. I preferred to be DM and go from scratch.

revengeOfTheNerds.jpg

NEEEEERDS..!!!

I played for years (and varsity football and baseball so the typical nerd jokes don't apply). Is Neverwinter Nights still active online? I haven't played that in a least 8 years or so. I'll probably look to get into it again one day. We started with the red boxed set that came with the dice you had to color in with the white crayon!

Lets not forget you can play turned based campaigns on platforms like Macrays Keep and Rondak's Portal (I'm more a fan of the former than the latter).

My two favorite characters have always been Dwarven Marine Unteroffizer Franz Trolltod and batshiz crazy Fire Mage Galies Blacktongue. Campaigns moved at glacial speeds though, and real life intruded. I might get back into it someday.

The kids in school who gave me guff for playing D&D were the same ones getting expelled for doing Special K off the boy's room pass... so I kind of took it with a grain of salt.

I am saddened by this thread, I used to play a lot, well that and MUDS, however, in my current situation I don't think I have a friend one that would play with.

dbhokie said:
I am saddened by this thread, I used to play a lot, well that and MUDS, however, in my current situation I don't think I have a friend one that would play with.

Same here. I tried getting into paying by message board (Tangled Web), but it was a pain to get people on the same page.

Revvy said:
What Jocks don't realize is that Fantasy Baseball/Football/Hockey no different that D&D and other types of games.

Man, I haven't played D&D since before AD&D Second edition came out...

Wooo buddy there have been some changes. 4ed is a very different game. Very fun, but you really need a mat with a grid as opposed to 3e where you could get away with not having one. Also it feels a little more "mmo-y"but once you get used to it it's fun.

What Jocks don't realize is that Fantasy Baseball/Football/Hockey no different that D&D and other types of games.

Besides, hot chicks dig polyhedra dice.

anna_dice.jpg

No joke! Have you seen some of the girls that are going to cons and stuff these days? Google Jen Page, she is gorgeous and a total geek.

Speaking of Jen Page, if you guys haven't seen The Gamers: Dorkness Rising, you're really missing out, hysterical funny movie made by gamers for gamers, but even non-gamers I have shown it to love it. There is also a similar film made in Iceland called Astropia which is pretty good too

D&D 2e fan here. Always will be. Can't get used to the changes of 3.5 and 4.0.

I typically stick the the computer D&D RPG's any more as nobody has the time to run a campaign. Getting the people together who would all play is impossible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just recently started playing again, but this time with Pathfinder. It's basically a tweaked version of 3.5 for people who didn't want to make the switch to 4 but wanted current content. So far it's pretty fun, I'm playing a Half-Elf Oracle (way outside my comfort zone as I'm typically a dwarven fighter). I enjoyed 4 but it was a little watered down compared to previous versions, definitely a good way to get a broader range of people to play.

A Satyr Ranger Beast Master Feral Spirit? I think so.

Fourth edition + Heroes of the Feywild says I can play a Satyr. Add to that, Satyr are Fey, so they're woodsy, and they like to eat venison and small game, which means they hunt, and they get a racial +2 to dex; that sounds like a Ranger to me. Plus, an option to add +2 to charisma which is good for talking to the animals; there's backing for Beast Master Feral Spirit.

Well, I'm back. Kid is home from college and is getting more into D&D. I'm trying to build some stuff, but it takes a lot of time to do it when you are inexperienced and have other responsibilities.

The new 5E rules are different. I'm trying to embrace them because the guides all evolve around it and it seems like this a lot of information out there that is geared towards it. I imagine we'll be using enough of it for referencing, but will probably continue to wing it a for a while too.

Are there any resources out there that can actually speed up the time it takes to build a dungeon and keep track of all of the $%^& you have to keep track of? I'm already a member of roll20.net, but it's still a PITA to try and make something quickly. I'd prefer the tabletop to online if we are not separated by distance. Otherwise Roll20.net is a great way to play online.

I cheated and downloaded the DM Guide and PH for "free" for now. If we start rolling regularly, then I'd be fine buying used copies on Ebay or something. At this rate it will be years before I feel comfortable building scenarios (and keeping track of it well enough to present to players.)

Also, It's just the one kid for now. The other one apparently doesn't have the imagination to want to play it. We might be looking for a couple of locals to play with, or I might get past my shyness and play with some people online like Kim does. It's hard to make a dungeon for a single player...

I'm old. I first played games using Chainmail rules set in Blackmoor. I painted my first lead miniature in 1983. Coded my first computer game on a Trash 80 in 1987, which was an ASCII fighter that moved to attack random moving ASCII character bad guys. I also lettered in baseball, played soccer and ran track. I was happy to have played in weekly RPG games into the late 90s with friends.

I got my kids into tabletop wargaming/skirmish stuff. Nobody seems to have the time for true RPG anymore. I still paint minis and sculpt sometimes. To many hobbies, not enough time. I lost track of d&d after second Ed. Played more games workshop after that.

Not sure exactly when I was into D&D a bit back in the day, but I remember painting Miniatures while listening to Huey Lewis and the News "Sports" album. Still have those. They aren't all painted. Maybe I'll get back to them someday... LOL!

I hope as I get more experience with the rules and tools I can prep a game faster and maybe get to spend some time with the kid actually playing. We ran a single encounter last night. Her Elf Ranger shot a bandit attempting to abduct a young lady. She had to heal him in order to find out where his hideout was and where his employers place the map to the location of the meet-up. Then she killed him. I'll have to double-check to see if her Neutral alignment will take any adjustments for it.

Sad thing is she didn't even search the hideout, or the bandit for anything other than the map she knew about when he was dying. I have a feeling she isn't going to gain much game money. That potion of healing (That he ALSO mentioned when he was dying) might have come in handy later.

So I've been playing for about a year and a half. My first character is now a Paladin8/Sorcerer 1 Dragonborn on the Oath of Vengeance and the Favored Soul Origin. My second character is a half elf Bard who is an alcoholic and I as the player played songs to cast spells/give out inspiration. I switched mid game to a Tabaxi Rogue who's awesome. I DM 2 games as well I have one that's starting with parts from Tales from the Yawning Portal and will move onto Tomb of Annihilation. The other I'm about to start is 100% homebrewed. I'm stealing from a variety of sources but I was heavily inspired by The Adventure Zone.

Played a bunch in HS, and on and off afterwards. Tend toward table top games vs rpgs, due to time constraints....

Just started running a game for my kids, 6/8/8/14. They are a party!

We started with a game called "Hero Kids" but it was dragging on since dad didn't absorb the rules right away. But dad knows D&D so we're good now.
5e is turning out to be fun. Less complicated than 3rd and encourages "homebrew" rulings in the book.

I am genuinely surprised at how clever my kids can be sometimes.

Awesome - White Plume Mountain is far and away my favourite place to be....

I first played in the 7th grade, so we're looking at circa 1983/84. Then, off-and-on throughout "adulthood," sometimes with my kids, who all have the fundamental books, in case they ever want to get more serious about it. Every year, as summer winds down into fall, my thoughts return to D&D, especially when Hunting Season is wrapped up.

I tend to blend Mentzer's BECMI edition with Holmes (Original D&D), Moldvay (B/X Basic) and Cook (B/X Expert)...we often adapt AD&D 1st Ed into this, as well, but shy away from anything beyond 2nd ed.

A year or two ago, a few of us were playing online, using www.chatstep.com as an online "venue." It works really well. Each member of the group can maintain his character, there is some file sharing and posting for maps etc. and there was also talk about the site setting up a random "dice roller." Not sure if this actually happened or not, but of course there are many alternatives. It was fund, and I'm looking forward to the next adventure.

I've played for a long time in my teens and early 20's, mostly older editions(long ago.....), also played and dm'd shadowrun and gurps discworld :D

Nowadays playing more mmo's than pen and paper, due to friends being too far away for regular nights...I wish someone would make a good cyberpunk/shadowrun mmo.

Back