stuck fermentation? (help)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inc88

Reaction score
I have a peppermint mead made 1/19/12 and a blueberry one made 1/13/12. I recently got back from a 3 day vacation and both meads are completely clear and the blueberries from the one all fell down.

I know while i was gone the temp dropped way below 60° in the room that i kept them in and if it was a stuck fermentaion would the mead clear or would it be foggy?

I have a peppermint mead made 1/19/12 and a blueberry one made 1/13/12. I recently got back from a 3 day vacation and both meads are completely clear and the blueberries from the one all fell down.

I know while i was gone the temp dropped way below 60° in the room that i kept them in and if it was a stuck fermentation would the mead clear or would it be foggy?
The only way you're likely to know if one of the brews has stuck is to test with a hydrometer.

It's entirely feasible that both have finished fermenting, and exposure to cold temps, can of course, "stick" the fermentation, but it can also help to encourage the sediment to drop out of the batch - ergo, known as "cold crashing", but that's usually to less than 5C/41F.

So test them to find out whether they're stuck or not.

Oh, and if they are, post the entire recipes/ingredient list and method of making used, as it's much easier to diagnose any problem that you might have.

Latest posts

Back