Forgot the Irish moss....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjer

Reaction score
Are there any other ways to add fining ingredients when racking to secondary?
I am planning on racking this weekend, if the hydrometer says so, and it would be my opportunity to add something if it can be done.

Mucho Gracias

That made me laugh out loud!
It is too bad as it is my best batch yet. It is also my lightest so I am interested in the gelatin option.
Thanks for the reply....any tricks to the gelatin, other than the basic instructions?

:mug:

What kind of beer?
What kind of yeast?

I brew mostly ales and find little difference in clarity after 1-2 weeks in a secondary and similar in the bottle if I forgot the Irish Moss. Time is a great clarifier!

I've had good experiences with KC SUperkleer finings...provided you're not allergic to shellfish. You can also clarify really efficiently by dropping the temps.

ronjer said:
It is too bad as it is my best batch yet. It is also my lightest so I am interested in the gelatin option.
Thanks for the reply....any tricks to the gelatin, other than the basic instructions?

1 TBS in 225 ml (almost a cup) of water warmed until dissolved. Pour into carboy. Wait a few days rack to bottling bucket leaving "lava lamp" behind.:D

I boil ~1/2 cup water; allow it to cool to warm. Then I disolve a packet of Knox gelatin.
I then pour the gelatin /water mix into the secondary prior to racking.

I've got an uber-light ale going:
og 1.041
fg 1.009
srm 3
ibu 12...kinda brew w/ale yeast(dry...forgot which brand name).

Thanks to all for your input...clear beer is a comin'

ronjer said:

The colder the wort you add the gelatin to, the better it will clear the brew.

Don't boil the gelatin...just heat to about 170f for 5 minutes and add the hot mix to your brew.

I forget the Irish moss about half the time- so far I've had clear beers, and been unable to tell which was which! If you secondary, let it sit for two weeks and then decide. If you need to use finings, that's fine- but in two weeks, it might be clear anyway. I've never used finings yet (except in wine, but that's another story entirely!).

Now I'm armed with some info. I'll wait and see after the secondary and know what to do if I need to.
Thanks all you Guys & Gals for the advice.

Back