HDPE solera

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some sour ales that have been fermenting and aging in 2 - 15 gallon HDPE barrels, one for almost a year, and I don'd detect any acetic acid in tastings which is going to be one of the tip offs of oxygen exposure I think.
Does this thread help?

Edit:
And
Q: Can I use a bucket to age sours or beers with Brettanomyces for extended periods of time?

A: HDPE buckets are more oxygen permeable, and with more oxygen comes the chances of acetic acid (vinegar) development. However, Brettanomyces also thrives from a little bit of oxygen. We have seen many reports of people using buckets successfully, even 2+ years and soleras. We recommend using a higher quality HDPE bucket with a lid that has a gasket that seals. Avoid plastic-on-plastic lids and screw on lids.
from http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/FAQ

@FredTheNuke You still around? How's the solera doing? Any chance you can refresh your pics in this thread. Photobucket has laid waste to sharing anymore unless you pay them.

I still haven't started my solera yet. Money has been tight. I'm back in the planning phase now. I started brewing professionally a few years ago and may be able to score a used 30gal whiskey barrel after we're done with it at the brewery. It's had 2 runs of whiskey and it's on it's second run of beer now. If I get it, my plan is to clean ferment the beer first, then rack in and pitch Jolly Pumpkin dregs (which I always have a stash of in the beer fridge). I figure to rack out 5gal every 6 months and either fruit it or go straight to keg.

Back