Off flavors from under aerating and over pitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmfa200

Reaction score
I have a few questions.

Brewed an amber ale last week. The fermentation took 48 hrs to start. The longest anything I've done so far.
Pitched California V collected from a blow off tube while fermenting a Two Hearted clone which by the way turned out awesome.

What I'm concerned about is that I may have over pitched and under aerated the wort. I just let it splash from the boil kettle into my carboy. A distance of about 2 feet.

I'm wondering what a worst case scenario is by doing this?
Any off flavors?

The yeast looks like a blizzard in my carboy, but is also giving off a funky smell.
Nothing like I've smelled before. It also tastes pretty bad. Kind of sour.
I've also taken a gravity reading of 1.024 from 1.054

Is it possible that bacteria and yeast could be fermenting at the same time?

I've read that yeast will inhibit the growth of bacteria, especially during high krausen.

Is it possible that I could have an infection, with my yeast going full steam ahead?

Is contamination possible? Yes. Is it probable? Depends on how you harvested. Can you explain the details of your blow-off tube yeast harvesting?

Harvesting yeast from such hoppy beers is also generally discouraged for a number of reasons, most importantly that the yeast just isn't very healthy after being in contact with such a high concentration of hop oils. It's not exactly Pliny, but it's also less than ideal.

Not really relevant to this particular case but also having a negative impact is high ABV and to some extent, extended contact with the beer, but they are all reasons for me to harvest almost exclusively from starters, except in the case of huge gravity beers (like 1.090+ OG), in which case I'll deliberately make a beer to reuse the cake from that is minimally hopped and has a tiny grain bill/low ABV in order to fairly closely approximate the yeast health-promoting conditions of an ideal starter, like an English Mild or something.

Is contamination possible? Yes. Is it probable? Depends on how you harvested. Can you explain the details of your blow-off tube yeast harvesting?

I used distilled water and put in a sanitized plastic bottle, put the end of my blow off hose into that bottle, and covered the opening of the bottle with foil.
After primary fermentation was done, I poured the yeast that collected in the bottle into a sanitized mason jar.

I'm sure there's a better way.

Harvesting yeast from such hoppy beers is also generally discouraged for a number of reasons, most importantly that the yeast just isn't very healthy after being in contact with such a high concentration of hop oils. It's not exactly Pliny, but it's also less than ideal.

I can see your point.

I should have made a starter at least to rouse them again before pitching.
I decided against it, since I had what I thought was a lot of yeast already.
Probably not healthy yeast, and possibly contaminated yeast.

It's too early to say.

Latest posts

Back