Has anybody used this keg cleaner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was wondering if anybody has used this keg cleaner.http://www.kegcleaner.com I saw it in BYO and it seems like a a simple, effective way to clean kegs. I just wonder if it would work on Sanke style kegs. Cheers. Al :mug:

I built something like this for a lot less than what you'd pay for it retail, and also less than the keg cleaner costs. Just hook it up, flip your keg upside-down in the sink, and let it go for a while. Works like a charm and it's zero work. The problem with a brush-type keg cleaner is that it won't rinse out the dip tube or the connectors. This type of cleaner will, especially if you pump Oxyclean through it.

Well I am really wanting to know if it will work with Sanke kegs where the spear is removed. You are right though about Corny kegs and the dip tube...gotta make sure that thing is clean!

I built something like this for a lot less than what you'd pay for it retail, and also less than the keg cleaner costs. Just hook it up, flip your keg upside-down in the sink, and let it go for a while. Works like a charm and it's zero work. The problem with a brush-type keg cleaner is that it won't rinse out the dip tube or the connectors. This type of cleaner will, especially if you pump Oxyclean through it.

CornyKeg.com recommends not using an alkaline based cleaner because of the anodization on the ball locks, have you had any problems with this?

CornyKeg.com recommends not using an alkaline based cleaner because of the anodization on the ball locks, have you had any problems with this?

I haven't, but then again I also limit contact. Kegs should be relatively easy to clean; they don't have a lot of crud in them like primaries, they shouldn't have extended contact like (some) secondaries, etc. It should just be clean beer in them. I've done oxy before, but really it's not necessary. Here's my procedure:

1) De-pressurize keg, open it, dump any remaining contents (shouldn't be any if the dip tube is centered properly).
2) Fill 1/2 way with hot water, close it (pressurize with about 10 PSI if necessary to maintain seal), then shake it for a couple of minutes. De-pressurize, open, and dump.
3) Attach the keg cleaner I built (commercial version linked in my post), turn the keg upside-down, and run hot water through for several minutes.
4) Turn keg rightside up, and let the keg fill up with hot water. Let it overflow for several minutes.
5) Empty the keg (tip: disconnect the gas side of the keg cleaner, and if there is still water in the supply line, disconnect it and let the connection rest on the bottom of your sink. The long dip tube will act as a racking cane and draw the water out of the keg so that you don't have to splash it everywhere when you empty it. If you do it right you can empty the keg without moving it).
6) Use a socket or straight wrench to pull off the disconnects, rinse everything with hot water. Turn the keg upside down to air-dry.

This should get your keg squeaky clean without any cleaning supplies at all.

As far as the product in the original post, I don't know if the "arms" will reach far enough to clean a sankey; those tend to be wider than both kegs and carboys.

Hope this helps!

Back