When to add fruit puree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JillC25

Reaction score
I want to make a blueberry wheat beer and I bought a can of the oregon brand fruit puree. The recipe I read said to add this to the secondary. Is this the best method? Should I be concerned about pectin haze or anything else?

Any advice or past experiences would be helpful!

Thanks

Got this right off their website....

Tips on making Fruit Beers Using Oregon Real Fruit Puree
Always use the fruit puree in the primary or secondary fermenter. Never use it in the boil. Boiling will set the pectin, insure a chill haze and change the flavor. You don’t have to worry about getting an infection because the puree has been commercially sterilized.
When substituting your favorite fruit for the one a recipe calls for, keep in mind that a fruit like raspberry has a stronger flavor than apricot and make the necessary adjustments. A yeast with low attenuation will help preserve the residual sweetness of the fruit. Never dump your beer out because the fruit flavor is too strong. It will mellow with age.

loop

when i did my blueberry wheat, i added the Oregon fruit puree to the secondary, then racked my beer on top of that (don't remember how much i used though?). got a little more activity from the fruit sugars and what yeast was left in the beer, but no major activity. i'd let it sit for at least another 10 days.

good luck with it.

I did the same with a raspberry porter. Racked the beer over the raspberry puree in the secondary. Used almost the entire can which i believe was roughly the same size as LME.

(I saved some of the puree for making dinner that night. Raspberry Lemon Pepper-Crusted Chicken, wow did that turn out good. Now hope my porter is as good as the meal!)

i liked it. i served it w/ fresh blueberries like Boston Beer Works does. if i did it again ('cause i'm not to crazy about fruit beers) i'd do a blueberry ale, not a blueberry wheat.

I just brewed an American wheat beer that I would like to add some cherries to. I have a 3lb can of cherry puree and I will add it to secondary fermentation. I think I would like to put it in a muslin bag, in a big mouth bubbler, to avoid transferring larger pieces of fruit to the keg.

Questions:
If OG was .043, what should FG be at the end of secondary?
How long should it take in the secondary before kegging?
How long is too long for it to sit on the fruit in the secondary?
Will the bag make much of a diffeence when using puree?
Should I sanitize the bag first? and If yes, what is the best method for doing that, spraying with sanitizer solution, or boiling it for 5 mins?

Thanks for your reply and Happy Brew Year!:mug:

Questions:
If OG was .043, what should FG be at the end of secondary?
How long should it take in the secondary before kegging?
How long is too long for it to sit on the fruit in the secondary?
Will the bag make much of a diffeence when using puree?
Should I sanitize the bag first? and If yes, what is the best method for doing that, spraying with sanitizer solution, or boiling it for 5 mins?

Thanks for your reply and Happy Brew Year!:mug:

Answers:
Dunno...maybe someone else could chime in...I THINK it might be a little lower..

As long as you wish..Longer=stronger cherry

Probably not unless there are lot of fruit pieces in it.

If using the bag, boil it to sanitize..

Back