Check out my IPA recipe. Tips or pointers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewsterk2

Reaction score
My roommate and I wrote this without any real help besides our own research and calculations.

It's still a work-in-progress but this is our second time brewing it and we've adjusted a few things and so far it tastes BOMB.

We call it "Assassination"

Partial-Mash/5 gallon batch

SG:1.065
FG:1.013

Malts:

6 lbs. Pale DME
2 lbs. German Munich
1 lbs. French Caramel Vienna

Hops:

3 oz. Chinook
4 oz. Cascade + 2 oz. for dry hopping
2 oz. Willamette

Yeast - Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Schedule:

60 min - 1 oz. Chinook
45 min - n/a
30 min - 2 oz. Chinook
15 min - 2 oz. Willamette, 1 oz. Cascade
Flameout - 3 oz. Cascade

Notes:

6 Gallon boil
Grains "steeped" at 158F for 45 minutes, sparged at 170F for 10 min
DME added as follows: 2.5 lbs @60min, 2.5 lbs @40min, and 1 lbs @20min
Brew dry-hopped in secondary fermenter with 2 oz. Cascade for 5 days
Bottle conditioned with corn sugar

So what do you guys think? I haven't paid attention to too many other details, but as I become more and more experienced, I'm sure that will change. Anything I should be on the look out for?

have you ran this through any software? I am thinking the IBU's will be through the roof!!

1 oz of chinook to bitter will be very bitter along with the 2 oz at 30 min. In my experience chinook is a very sharp bittering hop and it can be overpowering if you use it to heavy.

Cascade is one of my favorite aroma/flavor hops. you are spot on using that for late additions and your dry hop.

i might do some thing like

.5 oz chinook @ 60
.5 oz chinook @ 45
1 oz chinook @ 30
.5 oz cascade @ 15
.5 oz willamete @ 15 (i would even leave this out and just use cascade)
.5 oz cascade @ 10
.5 oz willamete @ 10 (again i would maybe just use cascade)
1 oz cascade @ flameout

2 oz cascade dry hop in secondary for 5 -8 days.

i have done a couple IPA's with schedules close to this and have had nothing but rave reviews from IPA fans.

but this is your brew, so if you want to experiement then go for it.

cheers,

My only point to question is the 3 oz at flame out. It seems that an ounce at flame out in addition to your dry hop would have been sufficient. Somebody, please correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think there’d be a noticeable difference between 1 and 3 ounces at flame out. Then you’d have 2 ounces ready to go or your next batch. Nonetheless, I’m sure it’s tasty as hell!

That's a pretty enzymatically weak mash. I'd add in some 2 row or at the very least test for conversion.

have you ran this through any software? I am thinking the IBU's will be through the roof!!

1 oz of chinook to bitter will be very bitter along with the 2 oz at 30 min. In my experience chinook is a very sharp bittering hop and it can be overpowering if you use it to heavy.

Cascade is one of my favorite aroma/flavor hops. you are spot on using that for late additions and your dry hop.

.5 oz chinook @ 60
.5 oz chinook @ 45
1 oz chinook @ 30
.5 oz cascade @ 15
.5 oz cascade @ 10
1 oz cascade @ flameout

i have done a couple IPA's with schedules close to this and have had nothing but rave reviews from IPA fans.

cheers,

4 or5 oz. when you can use 9 oz.? Wuss!
I like, and will print them both, for future batches!
At this point planning is all my budget will allow.

4 or5 oz. when you can use 9 oz.? Wuss!
I like, and will print them both, for future batches!
At this point planning is all my budget will allow.

I am a huge fan of a good IPA or IIPA, but there is a point where you are just trying to see how many hops you can fit in your kettle. Plus, 4 or 5 oz is a bit cheaper than 9! A good IPA should have hop aroma and flavor, not just be so bitter that you can't taste anything for a week. If this was a bigger beer, 1.08 or so, then i would be more likely to go bigger on the hops.

I would also agree that you should add 1 or 2 oz of two row to the grain bill to convert the specialty malts.

Who said i am a Wuss :D

if you and your roomate think its "BOMB", than go with it. theres no rules when it comes to your own homebrew. however, techydork did come out with a more balanced approach to the style. IMO i would get rid of the willamette, sub the cascade with a simcoe/amarillo combo.

.5 oz chinook @ 60
.5 oz chinook @ 45
1 oz chinook @ 30
.5 oz cascade @ 15
.5 oz cascade @ 10
1 oz cascade @ flameout

cheers,

This schedule would put it roughly in the 50ibu range. So they really aren't that far off although I'd prefer this schedule for an easier to drink beer and the original schedule posted for a once a session in your face ipa.

Beersmith shows roughly 75 IBU's.

I didn't have access to beersmith when i posted, so 75 IBU isn't bad. I was just looking at the amount of hops vs the SG and thought it looked a bit high.

After looking back at my notes the first IPA i did had something like 7-8oz of hops in a 1.070 beer, and it was tasty to someone that loves IPA's.

so i say try it out and see if you like it, you can always brew it again and tweak the recipe. that is what homebrewing is all about.

Back