Need some feedback ASAP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaxford

Reaction score
Need some help with a judgment call. I'm just getting ready to brew and noticed that the hops I ordered from Austin Homebrew are not what I expected. When I ordered them the alpha acid was supposed to be 2.XX%. I'm holding them in my hands and the packaging says 4.8%.

So my Belgian triple is at stake here and I'm not sure what alpha acid I really have here. Decision time.

What do you guys think? Should I assume the packaging is outdated and their website is correct or should I brew as if the packaging is correct. My starter is ready to pitch today and I really won't be able to brew again for a few weeks. I called Austin HB and no answer so I assume they are closed.

I'd vote for the packaging being correct. I've purchased hops on-line, had the website claim one AA% but the packaging indicating another. I've always gone with the packaging and have been fine.

Though I guess you could try to PM Forrest and see if he's checking his e-mails, though that might be a little more obnoxious.

I would tend to follow the package rather than the website, particularly if it appears that the packaging was labeled by the distributor rather than the retailer. Hops often vary by batch, and the retailer may have hops from several batches on hand, so, they may have just pulled one package out and used that for the website number. Or, they may just be using a general "representative" number for that variety of hop.

On the other hand, if you decide to believe the website value, the worst that will happen is that you will over-hop. But, over-hopping can be somewhat alleviated by aging. I'm not sure anything will fix an underhopped beer (short of adding some isomerized hop extract).

I have to agree with Palefire on this, I follow whats on the package, and adjust hop quantities to get you to your desired number, I would hate to have to wait out an overhopped beer

The packaging is probably correct, but on the other hand +-2% AA is not much difference at all. Just use them and don't worry about it.

Back