Blue Moon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
Anyone know what the story is on this beer? The carton says it's brewed by Molsons of Canada but imported by a company in Golden CO? I've heard it was brewed by Coors but it sounds like it's imported by Coors and brewed by Molsons. Is Coors associated with Molsons? Good beer by the way...

Found my own answer... didn't realize these two companies had merged at some point.

Why is this beer labled as a Belgiun white? I guess they dont have to be brewed in belgium to be called this huh?

The same way that German lagers, Scottish ales, English stouts, etc are brewed domestically and marketed as that particular style. On a side note, this is the first time I've had this beer and it's almost exactly like the AB Sping Heat Spiced Wheat that was introduced this spring. Really looks like AB was copying it...

Nate said:
The same way that German lagers, Scottish ales, English stouts, etc are brewed domestically and marketed as that particular style. On a side note, this is the first time I've had this beer and it's almost exactly like the AB Sping Heat Spiced Wheat that was introduced this spring. Really looks like AB was copying it...

It's also similar to New Belgium's Sunshine Wheat.

Fatabbot said:
It's also similar to New Belgium's Sunshine Wheat.

Right--I describe all of those beers as American wheats w/ belgian wit-style spices. I suspect they are all fermented with 1056 or something very similar to it.

I like Blue Moon myself, although I feel it's a bit off from a true Belgian Wit. If you've ever had a Hoegaarden, you would know what I mean. Blue Moon has a heavier mouth feel and the orange is almost sweet. A true Wit is a bit lighter and spicier, in fact it's gonna be my next batch here at home. As far as Coors, Molson, AB and In Bev (who consequently now owns Hoegaarden) go, it seems like they're doing what banks are doing in this country...just buying up all the little guys. As long as they ultimately brew good stuff and don't turn it all into piss water, I'll be OK with it then.

The story of Blue Moon is pretty cool. Coors field, where the Rockies play, has a microbrewery attached to it. I guess you can sit there, watch the game, and drink their beer.

The micro is owned by Coors, but they brew as they please for the most part. They developed Blue Moon there. It was so popular, Coors started marketing it. The rest is history! ...or at least recent history.

The whole story was on Beer Nuts. They go around the country and tour area beer spots. They even hit a homebrewer here and there. If you have HD programming from your cable / dish company, check it out sometime. For me, it's on INHD - they seem to carry some MOJO network stuff. Three Sheets is pretty decent too.

I'm a big fan of both Beer Nutz and Three Sheets. Fun shows, but Beer Nutz gets a little repetative.

Too bad INHD doesn't send good signals for new shows, though. Everytime my DVR records one, I get excited, but most of the time it's just one I've already seen.

Oh, yeah, I like Blue Moon too!

Latest posts

Back