Graham's English Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've brewed cider quite long, but usually drink it within the first 2 months. I notice a nail polish smell even when flavor was good. Does this smell goes away when aging?

Just made my first batch of this - even after two days the smell of cider is wafting around my house! This is gonna be a long 5 months! Lol

I notice a nail polish smell even when flavor was good. Does this smell goes away when aging?

I don't get this smell. AFAIK the acetone nail polish flavour comes from fermenting at too high a temperature, but I can't see why it would only affect the smell and not the taste.

Just made a batch, can't wait to try in 5 months, anyone made any recently. My og was just under 1.05

I made a hopped version of this late last fall and had been saving a bottle in the fridge to do a tasting with my father and it was quite good even almost a year later. Couldn't tell you OG or FG but was made with store bought juice, cold steeped black breakfast tea, lemon juice and dry hopped with centennial. Used us-05 because that's what I had on hand.

Was pleasantly surprised at the final product. I am NOT a fan of Samuel Smith's as I think it is one of the worst ciders out there right now but it was 100 times better.

Going to try a similar recipe this year by adding a touch of DME and fermenting with a saison blend instead of us-05.

got it fixed. fermented at lowwer temperature and replace Champagne yeast for Premier Cuvee yeast and worked like a charm...

Mine has fermented for the last 3 weeks, is that normal? Took gravity reading it was at 1.012

Started a 5 gallon batch Saturday....used Notty yeast...sounded like a steam engine it was bubbling so hard. Per the recipe...super simple.

Being simple minded, I just a huge kick out of watching the bubbles and hearing it too....I work out of my home office and it's good company! :)

I will be starting a batch of this in about a week one my NB caribou slobber kit is finished. There is a lot of conflicting information in this thread, especially concerning pasteurization. From what I have gathered, the only time one needs to pasteurize is when one adds ajc to backsweeten yes? All I will be looking to do is bottle carb during conditioning. I would prefer to use ajc to prevent flavor changes, and it seemed that towards the beginning of the post people were just calculating the sugar they were adding with the ajc to hit the correct priming amount.

As to my brew, I only have big mouth bubblers, so will it be an issue to secondary for 2 months in the plastic? Also, are people aging in bottles at room temp or cold?

I will be using plain juice from walmart, notty, yeast nutrient, earl grey, and I'll have to decide on acid or not.

Sveinn

Well, decided instead to start a batch of this in my new mini bmb. It's glass, and I have a glass secondary (1gal glass carboy) so longer aging shouldn't be a problem. Og was 1.050 on the dot and I added 1 Bigelow earl grey tea bag. Pitched 1/3 or so of notty onto it. Didn't seem to need the lime juice as the aj I got had a decent tartness to it. This Brand (Indian summer) has varied gallon to gallon by quite a bit on tartness.

I put the airlock on at 10 this morning, and at 9:30 tonight it was obviously putting out some pressure, though not bubbling yet. The little cap inside the 3 piece airlock was completely filled with air, but I only had a minute to check it cause I was running late for work.

I'll check back in with more information later.
Sveinn

Racked my first batch over after 35 days in the primary....it was already very clear. Notty yeast, with the basic recipe except I added 3 cinnamon sticks. Tasted about a 1/4 cup....nice...crisp, clean, just a little tart bite, dry, and the barest hint of the cinnamon. I would like a more cinnamon....but...I'll give it another taste in a month and see.

Also, I'm gonna save this yeast cake, clean that carboy, and start a new batch right now.

Racked my first batch over after 35 days in the primary....it was already very clear. Notty yeast, with the basic recipe except I added 3 cinnamon sticks. Tasted about a 1/4 cup....nice...crisp, clean, just a little tart bite, dry, and the barest hint of the cinnamon. I would like a more cinnamon....but...I'll give it another taste in a month and see.

Also, I'm gonna save this yeast cake, clean that carboy, and start a new batch right now.

Walked in the office this morning and the second batch is already going strong! Started Saturday on top of the old yeast that I did a quick "wash" on....did not even come in here Sunday, but I can tell it started to work pretty quick. Oh and I added 5 cinnamon sticks and 3 whole cloves to the tea and then dumped it all in the carboy.....smelled very Christmas like!

My wife just walked in here and said "what's that smell"...I showed her the two ciders. She asked if I liked cider and I said I don't really know, I have never really drank any! She said, well you'd better like it....you got 10 gallons of that stuff!

So, I'm not much of a drinker, I don't even know if I really like this stuff, but I got 10 gallons in the making. Odd, but that idea is kinda comforting to me! Strange new hobby this is!

Started my first batch in March 2015 w/ harvested Nottingham yeast, moved to 3 gal glass secondary after 3 weeks (4/2/15), and maybe feel it is about time to bottle this up! Ha. I kind of forgot about it in the back of the closet and got busy w/life. Will update post when taste it! I bet it is delicious.

So I had moderate bubbles ~2 min apart and then after 2 days it stopped. It now has a thick weird creamy paste like substance dripping down the side of the headspace. No discernible airlock activity at 1 week, and it is starting to clear. I am hoping i didn't get and infection, but I know to RDWHAHB. In 2 more weeks, Dec 29-30 I will take a gravity reading and move to secondary.

I will enjoy the first bottle on my Birthday, during July! Perhaps a bit young yet but old enough to enjoy. The cider, that is :D

What post-ferment pH are you all getting with this recipe? I used s04 yeast, og 1.048 finished at 1.000 with a pH around 3.79

I have had mine in the primary carboy fermenter since the 24th of September...i should have racked but do you think it will taste fine if I rack to secondary now?

So I went to rack batch 1 to secondary today, 4 weeks in, and I "discovered" my 1 gal carboy refuses to accept a rubber bung... I discovered this after racking due to what I call "overwhelming overconfidence" about knowing what I'm doing... anyway the bung ended up popping into the carboy and I decided, with only an hour and fifteen minutes before work to quick sanitize some bottles and just bottle it. So now, I have a cider 4 weeks from start of ferment, 1.005 sg, in bottles. And for some reason I decided to stick them in the fridge right away. It's still, so no real risk of bottle bombs, but shouldn't they "condition" at room temp just like mini secondaries?

First, Freezeblade, thanks for the recipe! A quick question for those that have made the recipe. But, first some background. for what I did for my batch.

Batch was started in July 2015 and just started drinking it over Thanksgiving and the Christmas break. It was made with the Whole Foods North Coast Organic Apple Juice coming from Sonoma, Co. and I followed the instructions and recommendations with the exception of using WLP001 vs Safale 04 yeast. It fermented right to a FG of 1.000 and was in primary for 1 month, secondary for 2 months. After that it went into a keg to cold cold crash until right before Thanksgiving weekend. But checking it a few weeks before bottling I still couldn't get it clear enough for my tastes so I filtered it through a 5 micron, then 1 micron. But there was still enough haze that I added a few oz of Biofine to the keg the following week to help it along. Now that it's been about 5 months and I've put it into bottles, it's finally super clear with only a small amount of gunk in the bottom of each bottle.

The taste is dry and I personally like it a lot. The wife also likes it quite a bit and likes it way more than the commercial ones, especially the sweet ciders that are on sale here and mostly found in the U.S. Unfortunately, many of the other women that have tried it don't like the taste and says it's missing some of that apple taste and they would like it a bit sweeter.

So my questions to people that have made this:
1. Do you think the Biofine or filtering stripped out some of the favors and your batches have a pronounced apple favor?
2. Have any of you back sweetened with just some additional apple juice to add that apple and a bit of sweet favor back after fermentation?

Much appreciated!

Sorry -- COMPLETE beginner. Here is a picture of a bottle that had soda in it, I noticed it had a cool recap thingy so I'm thinking of fermenting cider in the bottle and then drinking it out of the same bottle. Is that the best way? Other suggestions?

IMG_0111.JPG

Interesting idea for a one stop bottle for everything, but, I wouldn't do that. You're going to have lots of sediment, yeast, etc in the bottom and that's going to make it even harder to clean after aging the cider for 5-6 mo. I'd suggest you ferment in something you can clean and sanitize really well and use these bottles for the great looking cider to bottle condition in afterwards. Also, I can't tell from the picture how big the bottle is nor did you mention the size of batch you wanted to do, but even if it's a 750ml - 1L size and you're doing 5 gallons of cider, you're still talking quite a few bottles to have fermenting at any one time.

Bottled my first batch yesterday...started 7 Nov 2015. Two gallons still in gallon jugs and the rest in PET bottles with carbonation drops. Sampled the odd half bottle left over. Since this is my first batch of cider, I don't even have a good idea of what is supposed to taste like, but I liked it...even warm and flat.

Have another 5 batch I started on top of the old lees and racked it to the secondary yesterday. Think I want to back-sweeten and carb that whole batch in the bottles.

Side note...first time I've used those brown PET bottles with the screw on caps. Almost too easy....I may buy some more of those things!

Does this recipe call for concentrate or fresh squeezed?

I'd think either would work since many of the juices I've seen at the store are from concentrate already. The only thing I'd check is the added sugar in the can of concentrate and sweetness before starting. I think Graham's Cider is suppose to be dry not your typical sweet US cider we normally see here.

Bottled my first batch yesterday...started 7 Nov 2015. Two gallons still in gallon jugs and the rest in PET bottles with carbonation drops. Sampled the odd half bottle left over. Since this is my first batch of cider, I don't even have a good idea of what is supposed to taste like, but I liked it...even warm and flat.

Have another 5 batch I started on top of the old lees and racked it to the secondary yesterday. Think I want to back-sweeten and carb that whole batch in the bottles.

Side note...first time I've used those brown PET bottles with the screw on caps. Almost too easy....I may buy some more of those things!

Mine turned out like a sweet champagne, or a very dry cider. If you like it, duplicate it...if not, start your modifications and let us know what you did and what others say :rockin:

I made this cider and I finished with a post-ferment pH of 2.6 which is too sharp imho. Is there a way to adjust the pH up to 3.4 - 3.7 range where hard ciders should sit?

I used s04 yeast, og 1.06 finished at 0.99 with a pH at 2.6

Never drank cider before...didn't even know if I would like this stuff. I can't keep my hands off it...I keep testing the carbonation, at least that's my excuse. I was thinking cider would be more of a winter time drink. Now I'm thinking this stuff is gonna be great on a hot day. Very refreshing.

Just made a batch of this last week using Nottingham and it is the first ever batch that I needed a blowoff tube for! Crazy fermentation! went from 1.052 to 1.020 in 2 days.

Eric

Started this last night, and I have yet to see any yeast movement.

Folks - going to try my hand at cider. Can someone let me know if a blowoff tube is needed for a 6 gallon carboy? Thanks!

Folks - going to try my hand at cider. Can someone let me know if a blowoff tube is needed for a 6 gallon carboy? Thanks!

A blowoff tube is always the best solution. My Nottingham Ale yeast barely foamed, so as with any yeast, anything can happen.

Thanks for all the comments on this thread - I feel like I've read through most of it. BUT - I like validation. Can someone comment if what I have read/understood to be correct.

1) Notty Yeast - hydrate?
2) Good Choice? It was on sale. Oasis Apple Juice - http://www.oasis.ca/en/products/oasis/#apple-not-from-concentrate
3) Only have a 5 Gal Carboy available for this so going to make 4.5 Gallons. Is that enough head room? Use air-lock or blowoff? (Vodka or star-san mix?)
4) Ferment in low 60's.
5) Yeast nutrient - 1 tsp per gallon?

HELP! Thanks.

Thanks for all the comments on this thread - I feel like I've read through most of it. BUT - I like validation. Can someone comment if what I have read/understood to be correct.

1) Notty Yeast - hydrate?
2) Good Choice? It was on sale. Oasis Apple Juice - http://www.oasis.ca/en/products/oasis/#apple-not-from-concentrate
3) Only have a 5 Gal Carboy available for this so going to make 4.5 Gallons. Is that enough head room? Use air-lock or blowoff? (Vodka or star-san mix?)
4) Ferment in low 60's.
5) Yeast nutrient - 1 tsp per gallon?

HELP! Thanks.

Shameful bump - newb to the whole brewing community and want to make sure evertthing looks A-O-K. Thanks!

New to this thread... been making sweet ciders, mostly, and kegging, so I don't have to worry about bottle bombs. :) That being said, this intrigues me as I like the taste of Woodchuck. Could I use regular iced tea bags? I bought some that make a gallon of iced tea. This is Lipton Iced Tea teabags, IIRC. I only read the first couple pages and skipped to the end, so apologies if this has been asked and answered already. :)

Shameful bump - newb to the whole brewing community and want to make sure evertthing looks A-O-K. Thanks!

Other than you being stressed, your plan looks fine. The hard part is the wait, so hurry up and git'r'dun. :mug:

If you are concerned about the blow-off vs airlock, go with the blow-off as it performs the same function, just has a greater capacity to handle a beefy fermentation if that's what you end up with. After initial fermentation has occurred you can stick with the blow-off or switch to the less cumbersome airlock. The content of the blow-off jar or air-lock isn't a big deal either. Personally I'd go with star-san as I'd hate to waste a good shot of vodka. :tank:

Recap:
1) no need
2) Looks good, you should be fine
3) 4.5 gallon fill in a 5 gallon carboy with a blow off should be good. Use star-san (standard dilution mix used for sanitation)
4) yes
5) sounds standard and you should be perfectly fine (contact the vendor or store you purchased the particular yeast nutrient from if you are truly concernedly, otherwise drink above saved shot of vodka and relax)

:mug:

Yes, you will be perfectly successful. The juice looks fine (no added preservatives), rehydrating the yeast is a good idea when working with carboys, the nutrient amount is correct, and you should be fine with an airlock especially fermenting in the low 60s. Mine fermented with Nottingham at 60* to 62* and I never had more than a quarter inch of foam at the surface. I would only suggest adding a bit more juice for less headspace … about halfway up the shoulder of the carboy, then top it up right into the neck with more juice after you transfer to a secondary.

I started this in mid July with generic juice, lime, tea, S04, and yeast nutrient. Was hoping it would be ready for a friends wedding in November. Kegged after 3 months. It was still pretty sour when the wedding came around, so I sweetened with a few containers of frozen concentrate. It was ok, but my pumpkin ale went over much better.

There was a couple of gallons left, so I just put it in my kegerator to age. After 7 months, it has just now mellowed into a fantastic cider. Patience pays off on this one. I've never had a commercial cider this dry and smooth.

99 km zzc

This is crystal clear for me after 4 weeks in the primary. Should I bother with a secondary?

Did anyone add apple juice concentrate? And what quantity?

I started this in mid July with kkkgenerikmoc juice, lime, tea, S04, and yeast nutrient. Was hoping it wouldh oo j kind jj bex oj for a friends wedding in November. Zd after 3 months. It was still pretty sour when the wedding came around, so I vh with a few containers of frozen concentrate. It was ok, but my pumpkin ale went over much better.

There was a couple of gallons left, so DC hhhcex99 I just put it in my kegerator to age. After 7 months, it has just now mellowed into a fantastic cider. Patience pays off on this one. I've never had a commercial cider this dry and smooth.

99 km zzc

This is crystal clear for me after 4 weeks in the primary. Should I bother with a secondary?

Did anyone add apple juice concentrate? And what quantity?

I finished my first batch a few months ago. Gave a few bottles to some gin-u-wine English friends.....they said it was spot on for a dry English cider! Well, Graham said it was!

I have kinda learned to like it...it crisp and tart. I started a second batch right on top on the lees and it finished in a similar fashion. It's just been sitting in the carboy and taking up space. Frankly, I didn't want another five gallons of the same stuff. I stabilized and sweetened it FAJC ....then added some brown sugar. Maybe too sweet for you hard core cider guys.....but, man is it good to my taste and still a little tart. I may make this again!

BTW...my English friends tasted it and said this in American style cider...the preferred the dry. I just like that you tweak on it.

Back