Priming sugar w/kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sub1427

Reaction score
Should I still use priming sugar if im going to keg my beer and force carbonate? Please let me know, my kegs are on there way :drunk:

Greetings, I had a follow on question to this. I want to bottle and keg the same batch. Can I prime the entire batch, bottle what I want, and then keg the rest to be force carbonated? Should I split the batch? If splitting, I assume that I would only use half the "recommended" amount of priming sugar.

Thanks for any input.

If you prime the whole batch, you shouldn't have to force carbonate. It would be easiest to put half of the ale in your keg, prime the remainder with half the sugar and bottle it. This would also give you a chance to compare the ale kegged with force carbonated and bottles with natural carbonation.

I've not done that yet, but have thought about it. I would transfer half of it to one bottling bucket and half to another if you have something you can use. Otherwise, you can just take turns.

then I'd probably start with the kegged beer, half in the bucket, then straight to the keg. No sugar! Then do the other half with, yes, half the sugar and bottle. I guess you could even just do the first half straight into the keg as you probably would stir up to much trub if you just stick the siphon in halfway.

The best way to bottle up some part of a batch is to force carbonate it and then use a counterpressure bottler to bottle up as much as you want straight from the keg.

And you get another toy! :D

Thank you for the info. In general, is there much difference between the taste of natural vs. force carb?

I am currently drinking my second batch of home brew but have only kegged. Never bottled. I have read all the horror stroies and went straight to kegging.

However, I need to bottle now to enter a contest.

There's anotehr alternative. Keg it all. Carbonate either by force carb or priming sugar-- whichever you choose. Then bottle samples of the carbonated product when needed using a counter pressure wand or (my personal favorite) a Bliechmann's (?) Beer Gun device.

Back