Gas or charcoal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gas or charcoal?

• Gas (Propane, LP, etc.)

• Charcoal (Lump, briquette, etc.)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Do you really want to make the argument that charcoal is as fast and convenient as gas?

You can't win that one.
I have to go with BlindLemonLars on this one. I use charcoal almost exclusively because I think it's worth the extra trouble. I have a large gas SS grill from Sam's Club (the Member's Mark brand) but rarely use it even though it can be ready with a click of a button. Almost everything goes either in the smoker or on the Weber charcoal kettle because I like the results better.

If I'm in a hurry I can get a chimney of charcoal ready fast by putting it on my cooker and firing the cooker to fire the coals, but I normally use the newspaper method. All in all, I prefer grilling to be a leisurely occasion and if it can't be then we cook indoors.

Rick

BlindLemonLars said:
Do you really want to make the argument that charcoal is as fast and convenient as gas?

You can't win that one. :D

I'd give it a try. My egg is ready to cook on in 10 minutes and I KNOW I have enough lump to finish my cooking before I even start. That's pretty tough unless you weigh your bottle or have a natual gas hookup. Gas cookers do take time to pre-heat before slapping burgers on them, even longer in winter.

Bring your gasser on over to the beer ranch, we'll have a go at it with a stop watch. :D Loser pours the beers.

My egg is ready to cook on in 10 minutes
To EdWort's point, I can probably be ready to cook with charcoal in about ten minutes using my cooker to fire the chimney, but from a convenience perspective I still have to deal with the ashes afterward. As to knowing you have enough gas, my grill has an electronic readout telling me the remaining gas with LEDs for "full" "3/4" . . . "empty." It works pretty well. Still, though, I'm a charcoal guy.

EdWort, how do you fire it up in that short of a time?

Rick

I'm charcoal all the way here. As soon as my smoker is fabricated, I plan on learning the fine art of slow cooking. But for a grill, I have to have my big chunks of charcoal or even right on wood.

With charcoal, things work a little different around here. (Part of that is probably due to me not taking out a second mortgage to buy one of those wonderful eggs.) I've got to carry the charcoal bag from the garage to the backyard (assuming I remembered to buy charcoal, or managed to find some WORTH buying,) open it up, dump some in the chimney, break up the giant pieces into something more manageable, before lighting up the newspaper I previously tucked into the chimney. Then I get to fetch the broom to sweep up all the charcoal dust, and wash said dust off my hands before I can prep my food.

Thankfully I've got plenty of time to prep my food, as it's at least 30 minutes before the coals are ready to cook. Once I've transferred them to the Weber (oops, forgot to dump out the ashes from the last time, gotta do that now too) and arranged them evenly (and providing I don't need to run upstairs for burn salve) I can replace the grill and let IT heat up as well. Finally I can cook...too bad it's past 9:00PM now. Had I gone with gas, I'd be doing the dishes by now. Well, somebody would be doing the dishes by now...probably not me. :D

Mind you, if it's a relaxing Sunday evening, I don't mind the charcoal ritual...in fact I quite enjoy it. Especially if friends are over, a few of them are splashing around in the pool, the beers are flowing and somebody has brought me a good cigar. Under those circumstances it's all good, and I will always choose charcoal over gas. But when I get home from work sometime after 8:00PM, I want to turn a knob, click a button and be cooking in 5-10 minutes. Without propane, I'd be doing it at the kitchen range. :(

I have NEVER run out of gas while grilling, as obviously my brewing tank is interchangeable with my grilling tank, and it takes 30 seconds to swap them.

I'd love to hit the ranch for a grill-off...win or lose, I'd really like to try that Haus Pale Ale!

EdWort said:
I'd give it a try. My egg is ready to cook on in 10 minutes and I KNOW I have enough lump to finish my cooking before I even start. That's pretty tough unless you weigh your bottle or have a natural gas hookup. Gas cookers do take time to pre-heat before slapping burgers on them, even longer in winter.

Bring your gasser on over to the beer ranch, we'll have a go at it with a stop watch. :D Loser pours the beers.

Rick_R said:

I think the design of the egg allows it act as it's own "chimney," drawing air through the charcoal.

They are cool, no doubt. I expect I'll own one someday, it's just not a priority right now.

I think the design of the egg allows it act as it's own "chimney,"
Still, ten minutes is awfully fast. My charcoal chimney acts as chimney (no kidding) but if I don't kick-start it over the cooker it isn't ready to cook in ten minutes.

Rick

Rick_R said:
To EdWort's point, I can probably be ready to cook with charcoal in about ten minutes using my cooker to fire the chimney, but from a convenience perspective I still have to deal with the ashes afterward. As to knowing you have enough gas, my grill has an electronic readout telling me the remaining gas with LEDs for "full" "3/4" . . . "empty." It works pretty well. Still, though, I'm a charcoal guy.

Rick
You must be using the wrong charcoal. I only need to dump the ashes every 10 sessions or so. Good hardwood lump charcoal leaves very little ash.

Just got a bag of Humphrey yesterday and started seasoning the side fire box. It's gonna be a great BBQ season now that I can do true offset BBQ.

Back