Getting yeast from trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardrain

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to rack my stout to a secondary and I was wondering if you have any tips for reusing the yeast. I'd like to try and do this because (1) the brew store is a bit of a hike and kind of expensive, and (2) I have a lot of extra ingredients I'd like to try and use up.

Any suggestions? I understand I should try and take as much from the very top layer as possible, but I'm clueless as to how to store it and how to long I can keep it.

Is this even recomended, will I be able to get good results? I do understand a starter will be a very good idea, required even.

Thanks!

thanks, ive been searching but couldn't find anything...

i spent quite a bit last week so i think trying to froogle it this time will be a good practice...

yeah you can wash the yeast like yooper said or just make another beer and pour the wort onto the yeast trub left behind from your stout.

peterfuse said:
yeah you can wash the yeast like yooper said or just make another beer and pour the wort onto the yeast trub left behind from your stout.

While this is possible, I would be careful doing it after a stout. In general, the trub is not going to leave residual flavors, but any beer that is at any extreme, whether it be malty or hoppy, I would wash the yeast.

cubbies said:
While this is possible, I would be careful doing it after a stout. In general, the trub is not going to leave residual flavors, but any beer that is at any extreme, whether it be malty or hoppy, I would wash the yeast.

Good advice. I would recommend the same. I repitched on a WLP300 cake 4 times and the orange/corriander/lemon/grains of paradise flavors carried over to the next brews.

Back