Homebrew Legalization Progress in Mississippi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations, Mississippi for being next to last! :D (come on Alabama, you can make it)

And congratulations to everybody that did so much hard work behind the scenes to make this happen.

I think I need to plan a beer that will be reasy for the July 1st "taping", and maybe even talk to some of my brew friends about having a July 1st brew day in celebration.

Thanks to everyone who have worked so hard and diligently on this. RYP and everyone else involved I will raise one in your honor this evening.

Congratulations, Mississippi!! It has to feel good...

Now, I know it's legal beginning 7/1/13 but you must be prepared to celebrate with your own brew. Time for a "Free At Last" Hefe or an "Emancipation" IPA! Start now to have a toast on July 1st!!

Last year Mississippi's law to increase the allowed ABV in beer also took effect on July 1. Lazy Magnolia had Timber Beast ready to go at 12:01am July 1.

Maybe we should get started ourselves so we have some home brew ready for July 1.

I for one can't wait to taste some home brew. I hear it's delicious.

save the seven years i lived in memphis, working north mississippi, i have been here all my life (43 years) and to be honest, our reputation both good and bad is pretty well deserved.

No not really. I've lived in several places since Graduating college and seen a lot of what is out there as well as what the perception of MS is.

The backwoods racist sterotype. Sorry but as much issue as MS does have with race, we at least deal with it. Most of the country out of the South is so segregated, that they don't even deal with the issue. I've seen more White people in the big cities that are scared to death of people of other races it's not even funny.

The dumb redneck sterotype. Some of the best writers in the world have come out of Mississippi. We have had more than our fair share of world renown scientist. We have more college classrooms per capita than just about any other state. We have 8 Public Universites, countless Community Colleges, and several other top notch private schools.

The perception that people from the South in General aren't friendly to outsiders. This one kills me. Sorry but people from the South are friendly and open to everyone, until you start telling us how to do things, and what we are doing wrong. Then yeah, we can get a little hot under the collar.

Sorry, while I don't currently live there, I'll take the Good Ole South over most of this country any day.

JeepDiver said:
No not really. I've lived in several places since Graduating college and seen a lot of what is out there as well as what the perception of MS is.

The backwoods racist sterotype. Sorry but as much issue as MS does have with race, we at least deal with it. Most of the country out of the South is so segregated, that they don't even deal with the issue. I've seen more White people in the big cities that are scared to death of people of other races it's not even funny.

The dumb redneck sterotype. Some of the best writers in the world have come out of Mississippi. We have had more than our fair share of world renown scientist. We have more college classrooms per capita than just about any other state. We have 8 Public Universites, countless Community Colleges, and several other top notch private schools.

The perception that people from the South in General aren't friendly to outsiders. This one kills me. Sorry but people from the South are friendly and open to everyone, until you start telling us how to do things, and what we are doing wrong. Then yeah, we can get a little hot under the collar.

Sorry, while I don't currently live there, I'll take the Good Ole South over most of this country any day.

Hear Hear! I believe MS ranks in the top 10% of the USA in computing power as well. A lot of research goes on in MS.

Hear Hear! I believe MS ranks in the top 10% of the USA in computing power as well. A lot of research goes on in MS.

I forgot about that. I worked at waterways when they were putting in the High Performance Computing Center, with.several Crays and a bunch of other high end SGI, and other super computers. There is an identical setup.at Stennis on the Coast and a couple of Crays at Ole Miss

JeepDiver said:
I forgot about that. I worked at waterways when they were putting in the High Performance Computing Center, with.several Crays and a bunch of other high end SGI, and other super computers. There is an identical setup.at Stennis on the Coast and a couple of Crays at Ole Miss

Wait a second now. Don't be linking ole miss to computing power without mentioning Mississippi State's High Performance Computing Collaboratory (HPCC)! There are a lot more teraFLOPS in Starkville than Oxford.

And if we are talking research, MSU is designated by the Carnegie Foundation as having "very high research activity." That is the highest rank available. There are 108 universities in the country at at level and only 1 in Mississippi.

Also, MSU's Bagley College of Engineering consistently ranks in the top 10% nationwide in engineering research and development expenditures according to the National Science Foundation.

We can do some science and engineering at MSU!

alestateyall said:
Wait a second now. Don't be linking ole miss to computing power without mentioning Mississippi State's High Performance Computing Collaboratory (HPCC)! There are a lot more teraFLOPS in Starkville than Oxford.

And if we are talking research, MSU is designated by the Carnegie Foundation as having "very high research activity." That is the highest rank available. There are 108 universities in the country at at level and only 1 in Mississippi.

Also, MSU's Bagley College of Engineering consistently ranks in the top 10% nationwide in engineering research and development expenditures according to the National Science Foundation.

We can do some science and engineering at MSU!

+ 1

I worked with the ERCC when I was in gradschool for forestry. Great group!

Back