Newbie QUesiton on Sanitizer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerT

Reaction score
Quick question on sanitizing. For beer, I normally use Idaphor solution to sanitize. My LHBS sold me a packet of Potasium Bi-meta-sulphite (sp?) to us for sanitization. How much do I use? WIth Idaphor it was two capfuls for 5gallons of water....what about this stuff?

-Todd

Some winemakers may chime in since they use the stuff, but I only use it in the form of Campden tablets (either sodium or potassium metabisulfite) to treat tap water to neutralize chloramine. I use it at the ratio of one half tablet to about 7-8 gallons of water, but that's not for sanitizing purposes. Too much (like one tablet per gallon) can kill yeast.

I just use Starsan for sanitizing my wine stuff. The way I figure, sanitary is sanitary, no matter how you get there. Save the bisulfite for aging, though.

I went ahead and sanitized with the idaphor and saved the k-meta.

On a side note, man stirring in the two packets of toasted oak was a P.I.T.A.

It turned the top of the must into wood-mud. FInally got it to stir in. Pitched the yeast...and this moring it was bubbling (albeit slowly).

-Todd

i used this when i had nothing else on hand to sanitize with. 1/4 gram per gallon of juice to kill wild yeast or 2oz dissolved in 1 quart of water for equipment, is literally all the bag says. i soaked for a few minutes and rinsed. it works, but i don't recomend it.

HomerT said:
On a side note, man stirring in the two packets of toasted oak was a P.I.T.A.

-Todd
Was it that sawdust type crap? I hate that stuff! I would reccomend dropping 5 bucks and getting yourself an oakboy. Better flavor, less mess and less hassle and you can reuse them indefinitely.

Yeah, two 30g packets of it. Came with the kit. Made the top of the must into absolute mud. I had to stir it with my paddle for a good two to three minutes to get the bulk of it into the must and not on the top.

-Todd

I will probably invest in an oakboy for the future. however, this is my first wine so I was litteraly following the intructions.

-Todd

Back