Added sugar at the wrong time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dextryn

Reaction score
I was trying to make a batch of the How Rye I am - Rye Saison and I had a question.

The recipe called for Dark Candi Sugar and I figured that it needed to go into the mash tun with all the grains.

Further down in the thread I realize that I should have put it straight into the boil or even into the primary (I'm not sure which way is correct). I'm thinking I didn't get enough sugar into the brew as some of it likely stayed behind when I sparged.

I brewed it Saturday night (it's Monday morning right now). Should I add some more sugar to it now or just let it be? I was thinking it was about 75% utilized the way I used it.

I don't have my notes with me, but I remember it being only about .002 away from where I should have been. I guess that answers my question then.

Thanks.

It's also possible that you just had better efficiency and somehow didn't get the Candi Sugar to filter through. You may lose some of the flavor contribution from the Candi Sugar if that's the case, but, since you're close on gravity, I probably would leave it and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back