Cane sugar VS dextrose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naeco

Reaction score
Hello, I was planning on using 2/3 cane sugar and 1/3 dextrose for my cider as per recommended by CvilleKevin but I reached my desired gravity faster that expected and couldn't add any dextrose.

If I plan on fermenting cider to complete dryness, will the residual taste be very different between corn sugar and dextrose ?

No. Dry is dry- you won't get a perceptible difference between corn sugar or cane sugar. Both are simple sugars, one from sugar cane and one from corn.

It's all hoo-har really. Unless you're using a really outrageous sugar (honey, caramel etc) it just comes down to connoisseurism. Which is insane, because most people are just happy if their home brew doesn't taste like vinegar.

If you are just trying to make something that is drinkable then yeah, it doesnt much matter. Once you have accomplished making something decent tasting, then you will be able to notice the difference. cane and corn sugar have different residual taste and body when they ferment out. even if all you are making is sugar wash for distillation, its a noticeable difference.

Back