Saison fermenting in the 90s!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mroberts1204

Reaction score
Okay...I've read it in these forums before...be aggressive with a saison. So my saison is rip roaring away in the 90s. I ended up using a Saison/Belgian Ale Blend from White Labs (568). Should I keep it this high or is it too high? Thanks!!! :rockin:

i would recommend that you keep it at 90 until it is done. otherwise it can get sluggish depending on your OG. keep in mind that you could get different flavors from batch to batch because you MIGHT be getting some wild yeast when fermenting at that high of a temp

Ummm... not quite sure what Symin's talking about regarding the wild yeast. Immaculate Innoculation I guess. Anyways, high 80s to low 90s is perfect. I would recommend keeping the ambient air around 80-85F which should bring your batch close to 90F.

Recommended fermentation temp is 70-80 F, so I dunno. I think you might end up with an overly phenolic/clovey flavor and some fusels.

FYI, Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison says it can go up to 95 F, maybe that'll work better for you. I'm going to get some of that going in a few weeks and use that strain.

You will be fine, I used that strain and fermented hot and it came out perfect and very dry. You won't get any fusels, the strain loves the heat.

Wow!! Thanks for all of the replies. Now I can get back to sleep cuz I've been worrying about this all night...93F and still bubbling away like a champ.

I fermented with that yeast at 75°F and it was one of the funkiest, tastiest, craziest beers I've ever tasted. It was damn awesome.

So yeah, I love the yeast...not sure about the temp. I know many people that swear by fermenting Saisons in the 90s.

Back