Malt Liquor Recipes (All Grain)???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidneysaintpe

Reaction score
OK, don't ask why, but I've searched and only found one good all-grain recipe for a malt liquor (OE clone). Any other good recipes out there?

I find it odd that an OE clone equates to a GOOD malt liquor recipe. There is nothing good about OE.

Now Colt 45...now we're talking! :)

I find it odd that an OE clone equates to a GOOD malt liquor recipe. There is nothing good about OE.

Now Colt 45...now we're talking! :)

Because Charlie Papazian Created the clone recipe...so therefore it HAS to be good... :D

It's the homebrewing equivalent of being blessed by the pope or something.

OK, don't ask why, but I've searched and only found one good all-grain recipe for a malt liquor (OE clone). Any other good recipes out there?

The term "good" when applied to a malt liquor recipe is certainly subjective. Sort of like good recipe for junk food. This will probably get you a "better" product than you can buy:

60% pale/lager/6-row or some combination
20% flaked maize
20% sugar
Use the correct poundage with your brewery to get an OG of ~1.070

Bitter to ~12 IBU with any lager hop; add 1/8 oz at the end if you want that extra special something in the nose.

Ferment with your favorite general purpose lager yeast and get out the brown bags. :mug:

I've actually considered doing this before too, and my plan was to just use a bunch of 6-row, mash really low, minimal bittering hops, and beano in the fermenter. I hadn't settled on a yeast, or if I actually would put the time into lagering it.

edit: almost forgot, use plenty of adjunct. Probably rice syrup.

Dad's Little Helper from Rogue.com
Tasting Notes: This ain’t your Dad’s malt liquor. Brewmaster John Maier has Roguerized the recipe by adding 40% Midwest corn, lightly hopping it with Oregon Crystal Hops, and then lagering it at a warmer temperature to help bring out the sweet, crisp flavors of the corn.

6 Ingredients: Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.
Specs: 17º PLATO
25 IBU
77 AA
10º Lovibond

It mentions a higher fermentation temp; I have heard this before. What temp should you ferment?

Just bumping this old thread. Here in Australia we can't get Malt Liquor but we do import some of the 9% ABV headbanger lagers from the UK - I don't mind them occasionally.
After a bit of research on Malt Liquors I've done this attempt (pitching today)

There are two separate mashes, a main mash and a cereal mash.
Excuse the metric, pls feel free to convert - a kilo is about 2.2 lbs.

4 kg two row high diastatic Pilsener malt
330 g Carapils
200g Melanoidin

60 mins at 66 degrees Celsius

Cereal mash:

1 kg polenta and 1 kg rice boiled to a mush, cooled down to a high mash temperature, then 1kg of extra malt stirred into the mixture to give a temperature of 70 degrees celsius. The thick paste immediately collapses into a runny soup which is alarming but neat :)
Hold for 20 minutes then raise to boiling. At this stage US breweries would tip the boiling 'cooker mash' into the main mash to bring the whole lot to sach rest temperature.
My maths are awful so I just let the cereal mash cool down to sach rest then mixed into main mash.

From then on, a normal mashout and boil with 20g Chinook 60 minutes and 600g of white sugar in the boil. I've probably way over hopped it - sorry rappers and homies who may be offended by such astringent bitterness:fro:

I'm fermenting with US-05 and a short lagering at 4 degrees before kegging. Then I'll run it off into forties - yo :cross: - and store cold, I'll fizz them individually with my blue carb cap before drinking as I'd like to quaff straight out of the forties without getting yeast swirling up.

I'll post when I have a picture :tank:

Michael
Queensland
Australia

Man this stuff should be illegal. Turned out fantastic. I've decided to call it "Midnight Train Malt Liquor" after Roger Miller's song:

(Third boxcar, Midnight Train, destination Bangor Maine). I think after a couple of forties of this you'll travel a bit further than Bangor.

Smooth smooth flavour and very nice malt overtones from the pilsener malt. However I'm pretty well hammered from just half a forty in ten minutes. hehe.

MaltLiquorMedium.jpg

Michael
Queensland
Australia

Last edited by a moderator:
Back