Sour Beer Recipe anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slantedbolt

Reaction score
I was looking for a good recipe for a good sour beer. I have had limited exposure to sour beers but I loved rodenbach. I could not find a rodenbach clone.

Anyone have something close to this?

The linked recipe sounds pretty good. The only thing I'd recommend doing differently would be to mash higher than 145F so that you have more unfermentable sugars (to the sach strain) for the brett and bugs to consume. Even mashed at the higher temp, the brett and bugs will dry it out.

Here's the recipe I used for my Flanders Red that's about 6 months along. It's based on the recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. I sampled it for the first time a little while ago and it's nicely tart and seems to be coming along great. In addition to what's listed below, I've added dregs from commercial sours from time to time.

5.25 # Dingemans Pilsner Malt
5.25 # Briess Vienna Malt
1.00 # Briess Light Munich Malt
0.5 # Weyermann Pale Wheat Malt
0.5 # Dingemans Aromatic Malt
0.5 # Weyermann CaraMunich II
0.5 # Dingemans Special B
0.8 oz Aged hops** (60 minutes)
1.0 oz Oak cubes (French Medium Roast) soaked in a couple ounces of Cabernet Sauvignon for a few weeks. I added the oak about 5 weeks after brew day.
Wyeast 3763 Roesalare Blend (no starter)

Mashed at 154F for 90 minutes. 90 minute boil.

** The aged hops are my homegrown hops from the 2009 harvest. They were in a temporary location at the time, so they consist of a mix of a couple different varieties (bines intertwined). I aged them by placing them in brown paper bags above my kegerator. The changing temperatures over the years has completely stripped them of any hop aroma.

Back