DIY 6-8 gallon plastic conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumbys_Brew

Reaction score
i am looking into doing a DIY plastic conical am trying to find a company that sells plastic conical containers in the range of 6-8 gal. i can only find companies that sell 15 gallons and up. i don't have the means to make even a 10 gallon batch. so thats out of the question unless a 15 gallon conical would work for a 5 gallon batch but i know the answer is no.

does anyone know of a company that sells 6-8 gallon plastic container out there that i could make a conical out of?

What price range are you looking in? Minibrew conical fermenters are in the $200 price range. And if you don't mind the older style, check out my conical for sale here.

There is a posting somewhere here from some guy (in Hawaii?) who built 2-3 of those. The search should be able to help you

Sounds like you need to up your brewing to 10 gallons batches then. :D

haha wish i could just can't spend that much to make the switch just before the holidays possibly after the new year.

I don't see any reason you can't do 5 gallons in a 15 gallon conical. You'll produce plenty of Co2 from fermentation to rid the headspace of oxygen and with a conical you don't really secondary so you'll keep that Co2 blanket until you rack into your bottling bucket/kegs.

I don't see any reason you can't do 5 gallons in a 15 gallon conical. You'll produce plenty of Co2 from fermentation to rid the headspace of oxygen and with a conical you don't really secondary so you'll keep that Co2 blanket until you rack into your bottling bucket/kegs.

would shooting some co2 in the conicle help as well? looks like i'm doing a 15 gallon conicle then. gives me room to up my batch size

would shooting some co2 in the conicle help as well? looks like i'm doing a 15 gallon conicle then. gives me room to up my batch size

I was going to suggest that as well....It wouldn't help..remember CO2 is heavier than O2 and would sit like a blanket on top of the beer regardless of the headspace...filling it with more Co2 por actually purging the o2 would be a good idea.

thanks for the help and info i'm going with the 15 gal. and gives me an excuse to up my batch size to 10 gal.

thanks for the link thats cheaper than the one i was going to order from

Now to just build a fermenting chamber large enough with an air conditioner. My question is how can you afford a conical, but not a bigger brew pot?

Now to just build a fermenting chamber large enough with an air conditioner. My question is how can you afford a conical, but not a bigger brew pot?
Conicle comes out to be about 80 dollars when all is said and done.now getting a bigger brew pot on top of that would put me over my limit to where some people on my xmas list would have to be left out.and my girlfriend that lives with me wouldn't be too happy about getting both when as she would say "you can be spending that money on me". Gotta love a woman's train of thought.

Conicle comes out to be about 80 dollars when all is said and done.now getting a bigger brew pot on top of that would put me over my limit to where some people on my xmas list would have to be left out.and my girlfriend that lives with me wouldn't be too happy about getting both when as she would say "you can be spending that money on me". Gotta love a woman's train of thought.

The conical comes out to about $80 but that doesn't include the cost of fittings and a stand. If you go this route, keep us updated on your progress.

If you don't have to do 15 gallons, here is an alternative and it's pretty cheap. You can find 7 gallon bucket around. I know that most HBS that have lot's of wine selections sells them.

Check it out!!

$50 Conical

Have a great day guys!

John

and my girlfriend that lives with me wouldn't be too happy about getting both when as she would say "you can be spending that money on me". Gotta love a woman's train of thought.

Sorry to hear that, man you have it rough. My wife says " I don't care how much you spend on beer stuff, just don't tell me about it." :D

Back