The names! The NAMES! I'm so confused...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satanta

Reaction score
I see names on wine bottles and mentioned here and elsewhere...they just sound sooooo nifty... Apfelwein and Pinot and so on....where do you come by there?

Is there a name dictionary for wine?

I mean-it would be so nice to impress my friends and family with some cool name that I didn't make up or telling them things like

"This is a white wine, this one is red...this one is... dark pee yellow.... :D

Most of the time these names come from the area the grape is from, the type of grape being used such as pinot, and the color of the wine your making. I'm sure there is something out there to google on wine names and or brands.

ooooh great. Now I hafta start using grapes to make my wines?

How about just *one* grape...does that count?

Like I can name it "H-E-B $2lb White Seedless Special" or something?

I second Evan!'s suggestion. Hugh Johnson is the man as far as entertaining enlightenment goes. His books are interesting enough to read cover to cover but provide the amount of knowledge expected from a college level textbook. His newest one is really good!

The names I think you are looking for are the varietals of the grapes. It is the same for most things (e.g., Macintosh/Figi/golden delicious apples). You just need to become familiar with the different kinds. They all offer different tastes bouquets and experiences.

Back